What's the deal with Scott Linebrink? Is he in line for a contract extension, or is he a top trading chip for the Padres? MLBTradeRumors helps you sort it out. A history of rumormongering:
- 7/31/06: Gordon Edes writes of a three team deal where the Red Sox would've gotten Linebrink and Julio Lugo while giving up Mike Lowell and prospects. This was a wild day though...even Alfonso Soriano to Boston surfaced at one point.
- 1/26/07: Buster Olney first brings up the possible Aaron Rowand for Linebrink deal.
- 2/24/07: Tom Krasovic mentions past and present interested parties in the Phillies, Red Sox, and Mets. He quotes Kevin Towers, who indicated that since a trade hadn't happened yet it probably wouldn't.
- 4/21/07: Ken Rosenthal says the contract extension talks are on hold, as the Padres may consider Liney their best trading chip.
- 4/23/07: Rosenthal says the Phils and Padres may revisit the Rowand/Linebrink idea, and that Linebrink is probably available.
- 4/25/07: Todd Zolecki calls a Linebrink trade "remote at best," as he expects a contract extension.
The Padres are currently 6th of 16 in OBP (.335) and 6th in slugging (.420). Their left field platoon has resulted in a .257/.402/.471 line so far in 70 ABs, with Jose Cruz Jr. providing the power. San Diego's pen has been nasty (1.98 ERA) while their starting rotation has fallen short of expectations early on (4.85 ERA). Clay Hensley and David Wells have been knocked around.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Linebrink Long Shot For Phillies: