UPDATE: Dan Graziano's source says Wells is close to signing with the Dodgers.
Back on Monday, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe broke down the David Wells situation. At the time of his writing Wells seemed likely to retire. The sticking point is $1.13MM in incentives Boomer could've earned with San Diego - he wants his new team to pay up. Four clubs inquired, with the Rockies and Dodgers confirmed. When Ken Rosenthal wrote on the topic that same day, he said the Rockies would pass. The Mark Redman signing probably puts the nail in that coffin.
Breaking down the candidates:
- According to the L.A. Times today, the Dodgers still appear interested. Brett Tomko's stinker last night didn't hurt.
- The Mets could be one of the mystery teams.
- The Diamondbacks and Mariners appear to be out.
- I've speculated in the past that the Braves might consider signing Wells.
- The Phillies have a heightened need with Cole Hamels' injury.
- The Cardinals appear set with Joel Pineiro as their fifth starter for now.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dodgers To Sign David Wells: