Red Sox Rumors
The Boston Globe's Gordon Edes has some mild hot stove chatter today.
- Tim Wakefield's $4MM option is likely to be exercised. There was some speculation a week ago that it could be declined, but no one really believed it. It's still a bargain.
- Julian Tavarez's $3.85MM option is a borderline call, and Edes seems to think it will be declined.
- Nothing new with Mike Lowell - he wants to return, but the door's open for the Phillies or Yankees if the Red Sox won't pony up enough years.
- Most folks expect Curt Schilling to leave. But if he's still up for one year and $13MM the Sox should do it.
- Mike Timlin will pitch again but it might be elsewhere. Timlin hasn't been with another club since '02, when he pitched for the Cardinals and Phillies.
- Matt Clement will depart. If his tryouts and MRIs come up clean and he can hit 90 mph there will definitely be teams offering him incentivized contracts. Here's one I missed from a few weeks ago: the Padres may make a play for him. Tom Krasovic also throws Mark Prior into the mix for the Friars in that article. Back in December of '04, Clement talked with the Angels, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, White Sox, Indians, and Blue Jays before signing with Boston.