Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports on Brian Sabean's press conference yesterday. McCovey Chronicles and El Lefty Malo did a nice job dissecting it.
- Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum aren't going anywhere, and Sabean says there's "too much chatter around the industry" about the pair. He could've traded one of them for Delmon Young, perhaps. Sabean will continue to be open-minded but it would probably take a ridiculous offer.
- Sabean chimes in on Miguel Cabrera. He thinks the Marlins are asking for way too much, basically.
- Big name free agents like Andruw Jones or Aaron Rowand are not likely. Boras still expects $100MM+ for Andruw, according to Buster Olney's sources. Randy Winn could move back to center, or the Giants will sign a more affordable free agent center fielder. Jerry Crasnick runs 'em down here - maybe it'll be Kosuke Fukudome, Corey Patterson, or Kenny Lofton, someone like that.
- Sabean mentions that Pedro Feliz wants a three-year contract that'll never happen. Unless Feliz gets more reasonable Sabean will explore the trade market. Andy Marte is said to be on their radar.
- Henry Schulman tosses out some possible trade targets for third base and outfield: Melky Cabrera, Carlos Quentin, and Garrett Atkins.
- Not much interest in guys like Dave Roberts, Ray Durham, or Rich Aurilia. Maybe Sabean shouldn't have signed them in the first place! Here's a weird one - Baggarly says the Giants almost acquired Carlos Gomez for Bengie Molina last year. At least that's what I think he says. Say whaaaat?