More random rumors. You know you love it.
- Tracy Ringolsby has some hot stove musings. It’s a fairly sloppy article with one new tidbit: "Tim Lincecum can be had for a quality bat." Either Ringolsby is misinformed, or Brian Sabean has lost it. Lincecum has Cy Young potential.
- A couple of Red Sox mainstays will stay for ’08 – Tim Wakefield and Julian Tavarez. Wake was a no-brainer at his perpetual $4MM, while Tavarez was debatable at $3.85MM. Tavarez expected it to be declined, since the team left him off the World Series roster.
- The Ms will decide very soon whether to exercise Jose Guillen’s $9MM option. Even if they do, Guillen then can decline it and forfeit a buyout. He most certainly will pass since he can get a two or three-year pact on the open market, mercurial nature and all.
- Re-signing Tony Clark is appearing more difficult than the D’Backs anticipated.
- Reliever Masahide Kobayashi filed for free agency and is interested in MLB offers. He’d prefer to close but it’s not a dealbreaker.
- The Cardinals contacted Curt Schilling today to express interest, apparently after hearing him on a St. Louis radio show. Schilling has a minor update on his blog. Also, he posted the recruiting letter the Red Sox sent to him in 2003.
- Scott Boras client Eric Gagne may return to the Rangers; there’s mutual interest according to Evan Grant.
- Buster Olney points out that Jorge Posada could finish his next contract as the Yankees’ DH, and would probably thrive in that role.
- Don Burke speculates that Tom Glavine might be interested in finishing his career in Boston.