Rosenthal's Latest: Peavy, Guillen, Barrett
Ken Rosenthal checks in with another fine rumor-filled column.
- Johan Santana doesn't seem a great fit for the Angels, partly because he'll be very expensive and the Halos actually do have a payroll limit.
- Jake Peavy knows he'd have to take a discount to stay in San Diego...but even a $15MM per year type deal would be unprecedented for them. He's under the Padres' control through '09.
- Rosenthal's sources are divided on whether the Mets will go after Jose Guillen. Such a scenario is possible if Lastings Milledge and/or Carlos Gomez are dealt. It's said that the Mets are still very interested in Livan Hernandez.
- Chase Headley is very popular. Rosenthal confirms Scott Miller's rumored offer of Xavier Nady and Nate McLouth for him, not that the Padres would consider it. Otherwise the Red Sox are asking for him for Coco Crisp.
- The Padres will probably offer arbitration to both Mike Cameron and Michael Barrett. That brings the risk that Barrett accepts, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
- We already knew the Padres and Rays were in on Geoff Jenkins; add the Phils to the mix. The Cubs, Giants, Rangers, and Royals have also been linked to him.