It’s well-known the Yankees want to improve their bullpen. There’s been talk of converting young minor league starters into relief for 2008. Otherwise, who’s on the radar?
- A reliever could be acquired for Hideki Matsui – Tyler Kepner suggests Jonathan Sanchez or Kevin Correia. Brad Hennessey is another possibility.
- Kepner says the Yanks checked in on LaTroy Hawkins, Ron Mahay, and Trever Miller but haven’t made offers. However, Mark Feinsand says the Yanks are talking to Hawkins about a one-year deal worth between $3.25-3.5MM.
- Luis Vizcaino is probably out of the picture. George King adds Jeremy Affeldt to the list of free agents the Yanks are checking out.
- Peter Abraham says the Yanks are competing with the Royals for Mahay and that it might take three years, $9MM. Pete Caldera recently said Mahay wants three years and $12MM though. Bob Dutton notes that it’s Mahay’s agents pushing the Royals; they have little interest.
- Rob Biertempfel says the Yankees and Astros have interest in acquiring Damaso Marte from the Bucs. George King says John Grabow interests the Yanks as well.