Oh Brandon Inge...Has it really only been two years since Inge belted 27 home runs and endeared himself to Tigers fans everywhere by transforming himself from a utility player into an everyday Major League third baseman? In doing so, Inge became the poster-child for the resurgent Detroit franchise that took only three years to go from 119 losses to the World Series. And now? We are certain that there are still Tigers fans out there that love Inge, but we are having a hard time finding them. Inge, who has three years and $19MM left on a contract he signed prior to the '07 season, was obviously upset when he lost his job after the Tigers traded for Miguel Cabrera. And despite an opportunity to receive 300+ at bats as a utility player on a contender (and receive $6.2MM while doing so) he is apparently unhappy about having to play catcher (though he feels that he was misquoted).
Now it seems like trading Inge may be the best solution for both sides with Inge landing a starting job on another team and the Tigers able to skim $6.2MM off the books for a player that was not going to start. The only question now is: Who is willing to give up a player (or two) for 30-year old Inge with a $6.2MM price tag, no seasons with an OPS+ greater than 100 since 2004 and bad facial hair? Let's take a look at what is being written in the Blogospere...
If there is a topic you would like to see covered in "Baseball Blogs Weigh In" please let me know HERE.
- A League of Her Own thinks the Cubbies should ship Ryan Dempster and Jason Marquis for Inge. Boy, Cubs fans really don't like Marquis right now.
- The Cub Reporter doubts that the Cubs will land Inge, as the team seems to be all talk this off-season...Anybody want a Brian Roberts update?
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness lists about 437 reasons the Dodgers should not be interested in Inge, noting that the Dodgers would end up downgrading at third base, paying more salary to do so and weakening their bullpen in the process. And yeah, they don't like his facial hair either.
- Bugs & Cranks thinks Inge should just shut up and accept hit utility role on a good team.
- Mack Ave. Tigers has finally had enough of Inge and doesn't want a guy on the Tigers that doesn't care about winning.
- The Detroit Tigers Weblog wonders if Inge's decision to start talking to reporters is a way to try and expedite a trade, but notes that his words are not endearing himself to any potential trade partners.
- Mets Fever sees the Mets and Tigers as a good match up. If the Mets can't land Marcus Thames, then maybe Inge would fill their needs.
- Fanhouse thinks the Giants might make a good trade partner for the Tigers as Inge could be a better fit than Joe Crede whom the Giants have recently inquired about.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Brandon Inge: