ESPN’s Jayson Stark has a new Rumblings and Grumblings column up.
- The Rays may have a pitching surplus when Scott Kazmir and Matt Garza return in May. Teams will probably be eyeing Edwin Jackson, Jason Hammel, and Andy Sonnanstine – not that the Rays are anxious to give them up. Jackson seems least likely to go. If I had to pick a team deficiency perhaps it would be their middle infielders.
- The Phillies have "mild interest" in Mike Stanton, who would like to play for them. The Phils already inked Steve Kline to a minor league deal though.
- The Braves are looking for relief help, as you might expect. Here’s my available relievers list from April 7th; one addition might be Derrick Turnbow.
- Stark sees little chance of the Phillies signing Cole Hamels to an extension. He notes that Hamels’ agent has demonstrated an aversion to club options for free agent years. If the Phils just want to buy out the three arbitration years, the going rate is $13.75MM for young starters.
- For the first time this year, top-rated amateur players will be tested for drugs prior to the draft. It will be nice to nip the problem in the bud with some guys.