Here’s today’s collection of links.
- The Tigers weren’t able to trade Jacque Jones; he’ll become a free agent tomorrow. The Marlins are expected to make an offer.
- The Cubs signed a Korean high school shortstop named Lee Hak-ju. Aaron Shinsano, who works for the Cubs as a scout, says the team believes he’d have been a first round pick in the states.
- Giants owner Peter Magowan is expected to step down Friday.
- Troy Renck says the Rox still want Julian Tavarez but won’t give up pitching prospect Brandon Hynick. Baseball America ranked Hynick eighth among Rockies prospects, they describe him as a command guy with a decent splitter. The Sox are talking to two or three teams about Tavarez.
- Not a surprise, but Jon Garland isn’t likely to sign back with the White Sox.