Your hot stove links for Thursday…
- Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun thinks the Blue Jays should consider Rafael Furcal. I concur. But even after missing most of ’08, Furcal probably won’t have to take a one-year deal unless he wants to.
- Phillies GM Pat Gillick didn’t rule out the possibility of returning to Toronto as the team president.
- River Ave. Blues doesn’t see the Yankees or Red Sox acquiring Matt Holliday.
- The Mariners are down to 10-12 names in their GM seach, before conducting a single interview.
- David Steele of the Baltimore Sun wants the Orioles to give Daniel Cabrera one more chance. Cabrera is arbitration-eligible and should earn at least $3MM in 2009.
- Jim Baumbach of Newsday looks at free agent considerations for the Yankees and Mets.
- Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle says there are indications the Giants will gauge C.C. Sabathia‘s interest in signing with them. I would be surprised to see the Giants win the bidding.
- Angels owner Arte Moreno seems willing to stretch payroll past $124MM for the right players. The Angels’ postseason performance will be a big factor.
- Central Maine Sports Blog talked to Gary Carter, Buster Olney, Brad Wilkerson, and others about the Montreal Expos.