Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch posted a few Cardinals rumors online today:
- Miklasz spoke with Cardinals GM John Mozeliak and found that the Padres aren’t paying Khalil Greene any of his $6.5MM salary next year. Earlier in the week, it wasn’t clear whether they’d be chipping in.
- Talk that the Cards could trade Ryan Ludwick to the Braves was mostly rumor and “never had traction.”
- Mozeliak hopes to build on the Trever Miller signing and acquire more pitching. Specifically, he’d like a starter, a reliever who could close and another lefty.
- Not surprisingly, Mozeliak says there’s no chance the Cardinals will go after any of the high-profile free agents on the market.
- Second base doesn’t appear to be a priority for the Cardinals.