ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports that, with only five teams more than six games under .500, it's a tough time to be a buyer. Here are the details from his latest Rumblings and Grumblings:
- There are many trade candidates in Washingon, but free agent-to-be Nick Johnson is the likeliest to move of them all.
- Adam Dunn's price would be "astronomical" according to one executive.
- One of Danys Baez and George Sherrill will likely be dealt, and it seems more likely that Baez will move. As one official says, "he's throwing great, but he's still Danys Baez."
- The D'Backs would prefer to move prospective free agents, like Doug Davis and Chad Tracy. Stark writes that Davis could fit on the Mets.
- One executive believes Brian Giles "should get released."
- Cla Meredith could bring a decent return for the Padres, who could also move Chris Young and Kevin Kouzmanoff.
- The Royals could move reliever Ron Mahay.
- At this point the Astros still aren't likely to sell. No one expects them to move Roy Oswalt, but Ivan Rodriguez, LaTroy Hawkins and Jose Valverde could be dealt if the Astros decide to sell.
- One official says the Pirates would "love to move Jack Wilson."
- Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee aren't going anywhere, but Mark DeRosa is becoming "more marketable by the minute."
- Matt Holliday will hit the market if the A's don't play very well for the next few weeks. The A's will want the equivalent of a first rounder and a sandwich pick and, because few elite bats are available, at least one exec thinks they'll get a good return.
- The A's are worried he'll accept arbitration if they offer it, but Stark hears that Scott Boras would likely direct Holliday towards a better hitter's park, even if it was for less money.
- The Red Sox aren't in a hurry to deal Brad Penny. If they go for a shortstop, they'd want a short-term fix only.
- The Rockies- definitely not sellers right now- could eventually look to add a setup man.
- Delmon Young is "exceptionally available."
- The Brewers won't discuss dealing Mat Gamel or Alcides Escobar.
- The Rays would like to add a reliever, but they're one of many teams that can't add much payroll.
Full Story | Comments (44) | Categories: Adam Dunn | Alcides Escobar | Arizona Diamondbacks | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brad Penny | Brian Giles | Chris Young | Cla Meredith | Cleveland Indians | Cliff Lee | Danys Baez | Delmon Young | Doug Davis | George Sherrill | Houston Astros | Ivan Rodriguez | Jack Wilson | Kansas City Royals | Mark DeRosa | Matt Holliday | Milwaukee Brewers | Minnesota Twins | Nick Johnson | Oakland Athletics | Pittsburgh Pirates | Ron Mahay | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays | Victor Martinez | Washington Nationals
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors