Some odds and ends to start the week off…
- Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears the Royals "covet" Yunel Escobar. As O'Brien says, Mark Teahen alone would not likely be enough to acquire the Braves' shortstop.
- Kiley McDaniel of Baseball Prospectus reports that the Tigers signed a pair of shortstops from Panama.
- Almost 70% of Cleveland Plain Dealer readers don't think Eric Wedge should be around for the rest of the year.
- Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle tells us how some well-placed calls by Ryan Sadowski's mother helped the Giants starter make the big leagues.
- Remember that Freddy Sanchez's All-Star Game berth means he only needs 600 plate appearances for his $8MM option to vest in 2010. He needs just 271 more.
- As Ben Bolch of the LA Times reports, Joe Beimel would return to the Dodgers if he could.
- Scott Hairston had a tough departure from his Padres teammates last night, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock.
- The D'Backs are making progress with first round pick Bobby Borchering and hope to sign him this month, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.