Some links to read as the international signing period kicks off…
- Baseball America's Ben Badler expects we'll hear of more signings when teams begin making official announcements this afternoon.
- ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. sees a parallel between this year's international signings and last winter's free agent market: the top players are getting top dollars, with big drop-offs afterwards.
- Arangure Jr. hears that the Cubs may have signed Venezuelan catcher Wilson Contreras for $850k.
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post reports that the Nats will "hardly make a peep" in this year's market. They have Stephen Strasburg to worry about, after all.
- Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians plan on offering deals to 4-7 players.
- Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants are looking at a few international players. Don't expect them to award any big bonuses, however.