There's general agreement that the Nationals and Stephen Strasburg both did well last night. Here are some reactions from around the league:
- Yahoo's Jeff Passan says Strasburg can't just be good. He has to turn the Nationals around the way Ken Griffey Jr. transformed the Mariners 20 years ago.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says Stasburg and the Nationals aren't the only winners. MLB can win if it changes its way of distributing amateur talent when the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires after next season.
- MLB.com's Mike Bauman says this is how the draft should work: the weakest teams select and sign the best talent.
- ESPN.com's Keith Law says the deal's a "clear win" for both sides.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post also believes both sides win.
- Acting GM Mike Rizzo says ultimately Strasburg wanted to play, according to Chico Harlan of the Washington Post.