If you're looking for free agent bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with minor league deals. Let's take a look at the best of 2009.
- Garrett Jones - At .302/.368/.613 in 261 plate appearances, Jones is in the mix for NL Rookie of the Year. He didn't show this kind of power playing at Triple A in the Twins' system. Jones has played first base and the outfield corners for the Pirates.
- Ryan Roberts - The Diamondbacks picked up Roberts after the Rangers cut him loose. Playing left field, second base, and third base, he has a .285/.381/.427 line in 287 PAs.
- Kevin Correia - The Giants non-tendered Correia last year; an oblique injury may have contributed to his lousy '08. This year he's been the Padres' best starter with a 4.30 ERA and 119 strikeouts in 169.6 innings.
- Juan Uribe - Uribe's power returned with the Giants in the NL, and he's contributed defensively all around the infield. Dave Cameron of FanGraphs has more.
- Adam Kennedy - Kennedy gets an asterisk, as he signed his minor league deal with the Rays and was traded to Oakland on May 8th. He's been solid offensively and a strong defender at second and third base.
- Chad Gaudin - Gaudin signed with the Padres in mid-April after being released by the Cubs (they'd have saved some bucks if they'd non-tendered him earlier). He racked up 105 Ks in 105.3 innings for the Padres, and the Yankees acquired him in August.
- Scott Podsednik - Playing left and center field for the White Sox after being released by Colorado, Pods surprisingly racked up 504 PAs with a .303/.355/.405 line.
- Kiko Calero - When healthy Calero's been dominant for the Marlins - a 2.09 ERA and 62 Ks in 51.6 innings.
- Brian Sanches - A Nationals castoff, Sanches has a 1.45 ERA with 47 Ks in 49.6 innings for the Marlins. Couple of cheap, quality bullpen pickups for the Fish.
- Jonny Gomes - We discussed Gomes here; he's been a pleasant surprise for the Reds.
- Laynce Nix - He's been useful in left field for the Reds, slugging .484 in 307 PAs.
- Ronald Belisario - He didn't do much at Double A for the Pirates, but Belisario has a 2.07 ERA and 54 Ks in 61 innings for the Dodgers.
- Mike MacDougal - 14 saves in 15 tries as the Nationals' closer is impressive, but a 25:32 K/BB ratio shows why the White Sox let him go.
- Honorable mentions: Sean White, Livan Hernandez, Omar Vizquel, Matt Palmer, Andruw Jones, Omir Santos, Jeff Weaver, Tyler Walker, and Josh Fogg. Brad Penny and Vicente Padilla have impressed with their new clubs. Did we miss anyone?
Braves Sign Ervin Santana Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Luis Marte Second Tommy John Surgery Likely For Kris Medlen Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Braves Sign Ervin Santana Astros Release Brett Wallace AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors