A few links to click through before the Phillies and Yankees do battle in Game 1 of the World Series…
- According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Mark DeRosa underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist. He's a free agent this winter and is expected to be fine by the start of spring training.
- Wagner Mateo, a 16-year-old Dominican outfielder, won Bo Jackson's first annual Five-Tool Challenge over the weekend. It's an event open to 18-year-olds. Mateo's contract with the Cardinals was nullified a month ago after the organization discovered he had an eye problem, but he is expected to sign with the Giants soon.
- Marty Noble of MLB.com takes another round of Mets-related questions.
- Bruce Miles of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald hopes the Cubs will steer clear of Gary Matthews Jr., who told reporters Tuesday that he wants out of Anaheim.
- David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution is high on Jair Jurrjens, who has been mentioned as a potential trade chip by commenters on his blog. "I can’t see how the Braves would seriously consider trading Jurrjens this winter," writes O'Brien. "And I don’t believe they have, or will, seriously consider it." The 23-year-old went 14-10 last season with a 2.60 ERA.