Remember when the Cardinals traded for Scott Rolen? Or when the Jays gave up Michael Young for Esteban Loaiza? You probably remember the deal that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers.
Those three deals are just a few of the decade's most significant moves. Hundreds of trades later, the 2000s are just months from completion. This means it's time to look back at some of the trades that defined, enabled and inhibited teams in the 2000s.
But before we examine the decade's biggest deals in more detail, here's a list of runners up:
- The Rangers acquired Michael Young from the Blue Jays in 2000.
- The D'Backs acquired Curt Schilling from the Phillies in 2000.
- The A's acquired Johnny Damon from the Royals in a 2001 three-team deal that also included Mark Ellis, Ben Grieve, Cory Lidle and Roberto Hernandez.
- The A's acquired Jermaine Dye from the Royals (via the Rockies) in 2001.
- The Cards acquired Scott Rolen from the Phillies in 2002.
- The Cubs acquired Aramis Ramirez from the Pirates in 2003.
- The Red Sox acquired Curt Schilling from the D'Backs in 2003.
- The Pirates acquired Jason Bay and Oliver Perez from the Padres for Brian Giles in 2003.
- The Cubs acquired Derrek Lee from the Marlins in 2003.
- The Astros acquired Carlos Beltran from the Royals in a 2004 three-team deal.
- The Cardinals acquired Larry Walker from the Rockies in 2004.
- The Cubs acquired Nomar Garciaparra from the Red Sox in a 2004 four-team deal.
- The Yankees acquired Randy Johnson from the D'Backs for a package including Javier Vazquez and Dioner Navarro in 2005.
- The Padres acquired Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young from the Rangers in 2005.
- The Rangers sent Edinson Volquez to Cincinnati for Josh Hamilton in 2007.
- The Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from the Marlins in 2007.
- The Mets acquired Johan Santana from the Twins in 2008.
- The Brewers acquired C.C. Sabathia from the Indians in 2008.
- The A's acquired Matt Holliday from the Rockies in 2008.
- The Cardinals acquired Matt Holliday from the A's in 2009.
- The Phillies acquired Cliff Lee from the Indians in 2009.
- The Red Sox acquired Victor Martinez from the Indians in 2009.
- The White Sox acquired Jake Peavy from the Padres in 2009.
Not bad, for a group of runners up (and remember, we'll look at the decade's biggest deals in detail). Which trades on this list do you consider most important?