Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants are open to bringing Bengie Molina back, but prepared in case the catcher signs elsewhere. Here are the details:
- The Giants won't likely offer Molina much more than the $6MM he made this year.
- Molina wants a two-year deal, so Baggarly says the 35-year-old is unlikely to re-sign with the Giants.
- The Mets could have interest, and Baggarly says an unnamed AL team expects to get involved, too.
- Baggarly expects the Giants to offer Molina arbitration, but would be surprised to see the team extend similar offers to Bob Howry, Randy Johnson or Randy Winn.
- The Giants have tried to acquire Ivan Rodriguez before, so they could bring him in to mentor Buster Posey and provide the club with insurance in case the top prospect struggles.
- The Giants believe Matt Holliday's defense regressed a shocking amount last year.
- Jason Bay seems like a better fit for the Giants.