MLB.com's Kelly Thesier fielded questions from Twins fans in her mailbag today. Here are some of the more noteworthy tidbits:
- While the Twins may raise their payroll to about $85-90MM, most of that increase will go towards retaining their own players and, potentially, an extension for Joe Mauer. Thesier says that as a result, it is not likely to be a busy offseason for the team in terms of acquisitions. However, the team still may have enough space to add an infielder or starting pitcher.
- With that in mind, it is "very unlikely" that the Twins will pursue free agent Chone Figgins. The 31-year-old could possibly receive a deal worth $50MM over five years, which is more than the Twins are willing to spend. Figgins projects as a Type B free agent.
- It is unlikely that the club re-signs Joe Crede, who says his recovery from back surgery is going well. Third baseman Danny Valencia is close to being ready for the majors, making Crede's return less than probable. There is a "small chance" that Crede - who hit .225/.289/.414 with 15 HRs in '09 - could return if he comes at a bargain price.
- Brian Duensing will "more than likely" be a member of Minnesota's rotation in 2010, unless the team signs two starters on the open market. The 26-year-old recorded an ERA of 5.17 in 15 relief appearances but found more success as a starter, posting a 2.73 ERA in nine games. Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn and Kevin Slowey "appear to be locks" in the starting five.
- For more on what lies ahead for the club, take a look at our Twins Offseason Outlook.
Full Story | Comments (14) | Categories: Brian Duensing | Chone Figgins | Joe Crede | Joe Mauer | Minnesota Twins
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Mets, Marlins, Phillies, Blevins Overnight Links: Padres, Rule 5, Rockies, Iglesias Mariners Make Jesus Montero, Justin Smoak Available NL Central Notes: Cubs, Cards, Weeks, Carpenter Free Agent Rumors: Cruz, Benoit, Valverde, Giants Latest On Jeff Samardzija Matt Garza Could Sign By Weekend Fernando Rodney Seeking $10MM Per Year Doug Fister's Hidden Value To The Nationals Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors