The first week of November brought us the early stages of the Hot Stove season. Let's take a look at the week that was...
- Minnesota acquired shortstop J.J. Hardy from the Brewers for center fielder Carlos Gomez. There were other suitors for Hardy, including the Cincinnati Reds.
- The Rays traded second baseman Akinori Iwamura to the Pirates for reliever Jesse Chavez. The 26-year-old Chavez is coming off of his rookie season in which his fastball had an average velocity of 94.5 MPH. With this deal, Tampa Bay saved themselves some money and added a promising young arm.
- The Red Sox acquired Jeremy Hermida from the Marlins for two minor league left-handed pitchers. To date, the production of the 25-year-old has been disappointing, considering that he was once Baseball America's fourth best prospect in baseball. Theo Epstein says that he bought low on the young slugger.
- The Angels re-signed Bobby Abreu to a two-year deal worth a guaranteed $19MM. There is a option in place for a third year that could vest depending on his number of plate appearances. The man responsible for the move, GM Tony Reagins, received a new contract of his own.
- Talk of an American League team being interested in Manny Ramirez was shot down rather quickly. Later on in the week, Ramirez exercised his $20MM option for 2010.
- The Royals shipped Mark Teahen and $1MM to the White Sox for Chris Getz and Josh Fields. White Sox GM Ken Williams says that Teahen will play third base and Scott Podsednik is unlikely to return.
- Tim Hudson has yet to ink a highly discussed extension with the Braves. Meanwhile, they signed Joe Torre's favorite reliever, Scott Proctor. The soon-to-be 33-year-old is an insurance policy in the event that the club loses both Mike Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano in free agency.
- Tim's Offseason Outlook series rolled on with glances at the Minnesota Twins and Florida Marlins.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith highlighted the A.J. Pierzynski deal as one of his Trades of the Decade.
- There are plenty more trades to come this winter and Ben will be keeping track of all of them in one handy post.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Poll: Did The Astros Promote George Springer At The Right Time? Quick Hits: Abreu, Thornton, Hicks Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle West Notes: Scutaro, Singleton, Martinez MLBTR Originals Quick Hits: Hardy, Gonzalez, Hanrahan, Davis, Harang Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors