Some overnight links for your viewing pleasure as we start to get into the real late hours of the night:
- USA Today's Bob Nightengale says good morning with a series of tweets; Nightengale says he continues to hear Edwin Jackson's name floated about, and that "most executives" feel he'll be traded soon. He also wouldn't be surprised to see Adrian Beltre fall into Boston's lap if he declines arbitration. Not sure where he envisions Mike Lowell in that scenario.
- Jeff Zrebiec lists ten trade targets for the Orioles, though he admits that some are highly unlikely. In a separate piece, Peter Schmuck opines that it's not a waste of money if the O's spend money on free agents this offseason to add a few wins and show future free agents that Baltimore is trending in the right direction.
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com explains why it would be unlike the Red Sox sacrifice a high draft pick for a free agent reliever such as Mike Gonzalez or Rafael Soriano. As you know, Boston currently owes their first-round #29 pick to the Blue Jays for signing Marco Scutaro.
- Anything can happen at the Winter Meetings, writes Peter Schmuck, who reminds us of the 1990 deal between the Blue Jays and Padres that sent Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez to San Diego for Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter. That trade started off as a minor discussion.
- The Boston Herald has ten things to keep in mind at this year's Winter Meetings.
- Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch looks at how the economy will affect this year's Winter Meetings, and poses five key questions to keep in mind this time around.
- Gordon Wittenmyer looks at why the Cubs are optimistic that they can move Milton Bradley this offseason.
- Count Tim Wakefield and Daniel Bard among those in the Jason Bay camp for the Red Sox, says Michael Silverman. While Matt Holliday may be a more complete player, Wakefield and Bard would prefer their friend and proven AL East commodity. Good read, if for no other reason than Wakefield's quote at the end on how closely he follows the offseason: "...We’ll be sitting in the dugout in spring training in Fort Myers and I’ll look across and be, ‘How the hell did he get over there?’ ”
- John Tomase touches on the Red Sox needs this offseason. Tomase hits most of the names we've already heard, and throws Mark DeRosa and Jamey Carroll into the mix as well.
- Quick! Who do you see spending the most money on the draft in 2010? Bet you didn't guess the Blue Jays (unless of course you took into consideration the large hint I provided in the title of this post). Reports are that the Jays will have a ridiculous $16MM to spend on the draft in 2010. The Jays have eight picks in the first three rounds (nine if Rod Barajas signs elsewhere), and plan to take full advantage of it.
- El Lefty Malo takes a look at the possibility that the Giants sign Jason Kendall as their starting catcher because of the belief that Buster Posey isn't ready. Apparently, it's not a thought that sits well.
- MLB.com looks back at some of the best trades and free agent signings by each club in the National League and American League since the era of Divisional play began. They've also got a more generic list of the best moves of the past 40 seasons.
- Per Kyodo News, several teams have expressed interest in So Taguchi, according to his agent Alan Nero. Several teams? Can't say I expected that one.
Full Story | Comments (12) | Categories: Adrian Beltre | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Buster Posey | Chicago Cubs | Daniel Bard | Detroit Tigers | Edwin Jackson | Jamey Carroll | Jason Bay | Jason Kendall | Mark DeRosa | Mike Gonzalez | Mike Lowell | Milton Bradley | Rafael Soriano | Rod Barajas | San Francisco Giants | So Taguchi | Tim Wakefield | Toronto Blue Jays
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Claim David Huff, Designate Francisco Rondon Mets Notes: Wheeler, Wright, Duda, Davis Camden Riversharks Sign Wilson Valdez White Sox Outright Angel Sanchez Rangers Claim Joe Benson Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring Draft Links: Manaea, McGuire, Prep Catchers East Links: Braves, Nolin, Wheeler, Wada Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Walker, Hughes, Vogelsong
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors