Let's take a look back on the week that was...
- The biggest news of the week was, of course, the Roy Halladay-Cliff Lee blockbuster. The four-way deal landed Doc and prospects in Philly, Lee in Seattle, a trio of youngsters (including Kyle Drabek) in Toronto, and Michael Taylor in Oakland. Halladay also agreed to a three-year extension that will pay him $20MM annually through 2013. The contract will not affect his 2010 salary ($15.75MM) and will include a vesting option.
- The BoSox signed the market's top starter, John Lackey, to a five-year deal worth $82.5MM. This matches A.J. Burnett's deal with the Yanks from a year ago and includes no incentives or bonuses.
- Boston also took care of their vacancy in the outfield, signing Mike Cameron to a two-year deal worth approximately $15.5MM. The soon-to-be 37-year-old is expected to be slotted in left field.
- After Johnny Damon and the Yanks were unable to come to terms on a new deal, the club welcomed Nick Johnson back to the Bronx. Johnson will earn $5.5MM plus incentives next season, with a $5.5 mutual option for 2011.
- The Halos signed Hideki Matsui to a one-year pact for about $6.5MM. The deal will pay him roughly half of the $13MM he made with the Yanks in the final year of his contract.
- Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik turned the less-than-stellar Carlos Silva into outfielder Milton Bradley. The Cubs also receive $9MM in the transaction, but only net $5MM as Silva will earn $4MM more than Bradley over the next two seasons.
- The trade of Mike Lowell to the Rangers was called off on Saturday as a physical revealed that the third baseman would require surgery on his right thumb. The deal, which had been talked about for quite a while, would have sent Max Ramirez to Boston in exchange for Lowell and $9MM to help cover his $12MM salary.
- The Dodgers shipped Juan Pierre to the White Sox, in exchange for pitchers Jon Link and John Ely. Ned Colletti & Co. will eat $10.5MM of Pierre's contract as part of the deal.
- The Orioles signed former Braves reliever Mike Gonzalez to a two-year deal worth $12MM guaranteed. Since Atlanta offered the 31-year-old Type A free agent arbitration, the O's will surrender their second-round pick to them (currently #44).
- The O's also inked Garrett Atkins to a one-year deal worth $4.5MM. The contract has a club option for 2011 worth $8.5MM with a $500K buyout.
- The Reds restructured Scott Rolen's contract, extending his deal through 2012. Rolen will receive a shade under $24MM through the remainder of the pact while giving the club an additional $5MM in payroll flexibility this winter.
- While Jason Bay's options have shrunk considerably this past week, some feel he may be hesitant to play for the Mets.
- It sounds as though Adrian Gonzalez will be staying put- for now, at least. Although it has been widely reported that the BoSox covet the slugger, the Padres aren't expected to move him this winter.
- The Nats are making a run at free agent pitcher Jon Garland, who is seeking a three-year deal. Washington, however, would prefer to limit him to two years.
- Jamey Carroll agreed to a two-year deal with the Dodgers for just under $4MM total. Carroll is expected to see time at multiple positions while serving as insurance for Blake DeWitt at second base.
- Arbitration-eligible Ricky Nolasco came to terms with the Marlins on a one-year deal worth $3.8MM. This represents a 58% pay raise for the 27-year-old.
- Tim polished off his crystal ball and looked ahead to the free agent class of 2011.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors