Let's take a look back at the biggest stories of the week..
- The Yankees brought Javier Vazquez back to the Bronx by sending Melky Cabrera, two prospects, and some cash to Atlanta. Vazquez has pitched 198 innings or more every season this decade while striking out at least 150 batters each season. The Yanks also received Boone Logan in the deal.
- Later on, the Braves inked Troy Glaus to a one-year deal worth $2MM plus incentives.
- Toronto acquired Brandon Morrow in exchange for reliever Brandon League and minor league outfielder Johermyn Chavez. Morrow has a career ERA of 3.96 over 197.6 innings.
- Washington signed Jason Marquis, one of the top starters remaining on the market, to a two-year, $15MM contract. Marquis ate 216 innings in 2009 while posting a 4.04 ERA.
- Apparently that didn't eat up the Nats' entire weekly allowance. After narrowing his options down to the Nationals and Cubs, free agent reliever Matt Capps signed with the former on a one-year deal worth a minimum of $3.5MM. The 26-year-old reportedly picked Washington because he'll have the opportunity to close.
- The Mets took a chance on Kelvim Escobar, signing him to a one-year deal with a base of $1.25MM. With incentives, the 33-year-old could earn an additional $3.125MM. Though he has experience as both a starter and reliever, GM Omar Minaya says that Escobar will be in the bullpen.
- Word that the Red Sox were thinking about making room for Jason Bay's return was swiftly characterized as a "long shot." Meanwhile, Bay's lack of dialogue with the Mets is leading some to question his desire to play in Queens.
- As first reported by MLBTR, Coco Crisp agreed to a one-year deal with Oakland. The deal will pay him $5.25MM in 2010 with a $5.75MM club option for 2011.
- The Angels landed free agent reliever Fernando Rodney on a two-year deal worth $11MM. Rodney is coming off a so-so year in which he posted a 4.40 ERA with 7.3 K/9.
- Oakland brought back Justin Duchscherer on a one-year deal with a modest base of $2MM. Duchscherer can earn more through incentives linked to innings pitched and games started.
- The Giants offered Mark DeRosa a two-year deal worth $12MM. While he has yet to take the offer, he is reportedly leaning towards accepting it.
- Free agent lefty Darren Oliver signed with the Rangers on a one-year, $3.5MM deal. The contract includes a vesting option for 2011.
- "Everyday" Eddie Guardado signed a minor-league deal with the Nationals. The 39-year-old lefty considered retiring after his 2009 stint in Texas.
- The Pirates signed lefty Javier Lopez to a one-year deal worth at least $775K.
- It was reported earlier in the week that the Phillies agreed to terms with a mystery reliever. No word on who it is yet. Could it be Danys Baez? Mike MacDougal? Find out, on the next action packed episode of MLBTradeRumors.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors