In case you missed anything from yesterday, here's a quick rundown of the day's top rumors and transactions:
- The Cardinals reached an agreement on a one-year deal with Brad Penny worth $7.5MM with another $1.5MM in incentives. I thought he'd fetch a lower base with more incentives. Will this set the tone for other incentive-based one-year deals for pitchers?
- The Nationals agreed on a two-year pact with Ivan Rodriguez, reportedly worth $5MM-$6MM. The Pudge signing likely spells the end of Wil Nieves in Washington. Surprised to see Pudge get two years, though I can't imagine a better mentor if the Nats land Bryce Harper in the 2010 draft.
- The Tigers re-signed Adam Everett on a one-year deal worth $1.55MM. Everett's defense is worth more than that, and the Tigers need to watch spending; makes sense.
- The Brewers appear to be the frontrunners to land Randy Wolf, having reportedly offered a three-year deal to the veteran left-hander. No word on the dollars yet, but the signing should happen soon, apparently.
- The Yankees, Diamondbacks, and Tigers are talking about a three-way trade that would send Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson, Michael Dunn and Phil Coke to Detroit, Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy to Arizona, and Curtis Granderson plus D'Backs prospects to New York. Talks are currently stalled, though the D'Backs are pushing to resume them. Not sure I'd let go of Scherzer that easily if I were Josh Byrnes.
- The arbitration deadline has come and gone; here's a recap of all the free agents who were offered arb this season, as well as their respective decisions. Three accepted: Carl Pavano, Rafael Betancourt, and shockingly for Atlanta, Rafael Soriano. They've suddenly got a real pricey bullpen on their hands.
- The Nationals acquired Brian Bruney from the Yankees for a PTBNL that was later revealed to be the Nats pick in the Rule 5 Draft this Thursday. Bruney's never really put it together, but either the Nats really like him or there's no one who interests them in the Rule 5 Draft this year. Nice move for the Yankees anyway.
- Matt Lindstrom is practically a sure thing to be dealt at the Winter Meetings, and we learned that a number of teams are interested in the Florida reliever.
- Could the Padres really non-tender Kevin Correia because of an unwillingness to increase his $1.1MM salary? Seems like it, which is too bad for Pads fans. The team is in need of pitching, and letting go its most reliable starter from 2009 over a couple million dollars doesn't make sense. At the very least, they should trade him.
- Conflicting reports on whether or not the Yanks ever extended a formal offer to Andy Pettitte, but either way, we learned that $10MM won't do it. Pettitte wants to be back in the Bronx next year, but it will probably take an $11MM+ offer.
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Overnight Links: Padres, Rule 5, Rockies, Iglesias Mariners Make Jesus Montero, Justin Smoak Available NL Central Notes: Cubs, Cards, Weeks, Carpenter Free Agent Rumors: Cruz, Benoit, Valverde, Giants Latest On Jeff Samardzija Matt Garza Could Sign By Weekend Fernando Rodney Seeking $10MM Per Year Doug Fister's Hidden Value To The Nationals Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford AL East Rumors: Drew, Balfour, Orioles, Red Sox
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors