As the first game of the 2010 season winds down, let's take a look back at the week that was..
- The Marlins made a splash when they acquired lefty Nate Robertson and cash for minor league reliever Jay Voss. Detroit is picking up $9.6MM of the $10MM owed to Robertson.
- Matt Cain agreed to a three-year contract extension with the Giants on Sunday. The deal will cover Cain through the 2012 campaign, buying out one year of free agency. The 25-year-old is set to earn $4.5MM in 2010, $8MM in 2011, and $15MM in 2012.
- The Blue Jays signed Adam Lind to a four-year, $18MM contract extension. The pact also includes club options for 2014, 2015, and 2016. If Toronto picks up all three options, Lind will earn $38.5MM over seven years.
- Baltimore acquired Julio Lugo from the Cardinals for a player to be named later. The O's will pay Lugo the league minimum while Boston is on the hook for the remaining $8.6MM. The move led to Robert Andino getting DFA'd by the club.
- On Saturday, Jack Cust was DFA'd by the Athletics. There was no room on the roster for the 31-year-old with both Travis Buck and Jake Fox making the team. Cust inked a one-year, $2.65MM deal with the A's in January.
- The Red Sox made a four-year offer to Josh Beckett. The pitcher's agent was reportedly seeking a five-year pact.
- Texas extended righthander Scott Feldman through the 2012 season. The pact guarantees the 27-year-old nearly $14MM and includes a club option for 2013. The deal buys out all three of his arbitration years and allows the Rangers to retain him through his first year of free agency if they so choose.
- Chad Gaudin hooked on with the A's for one year at $700K. The 27-year-old is known mostly for his work as a starter but will be slotted into Oakland's bullpen.
- More Rangers goodness as they claimed Ryan Garko off of waivers from the Mariners. The acquisition ends the Mike Lowell trade talk - for now.
- Speaking of Lowell, there hasn't been a whole lot of trade activity surrounding him as of late.
- The Rockies released righty reliever Justin Speier. The 36-year-old will reportedly retire if he is unable to land a big league job.
- We learned that Victor Martinez doesn't want to get into contract talks with Boston during the season. The 31-year-old catcher maintains that he wants to remain with the BoSox beyond 2010.
- The Giants completed a small deal with the Rangers, landing Edwin Escobar in exchange for Ben Snyder.
- Pitcher Jarrod Washburn reportedly turned down a "small offer" from the Mariners. The Royals are said to have offered more money than the M's, but the lefty prefers Seattle.
- In other M's news, Corey Patterson opted out of his deal with the club. Patterson signed a minor league deal with Seattle last December.
- Milwaukee made a run at outfielder Jermaine Dye, but the talks reached an impasse. The Brewers are said to be less-than-thrilled with Corey Hart and might have tried trading him if they inked Dye.
- The Yankees signed catcher Chad Moeller and utility man Robby Hammock to minor league deals. Moeller was cut by the Orioles just days earlier.
- Toronto cut outfielder Joey Gathright but he found work with the Orioles soon after.
- Doug Mientkiewicz was finally granted his release by the Dodgers. Meanwhile, the club freed up two more roster spots by selling Eric Stults to the Hiroshima Carp and cutting Jason Repko.
- The Phillies reached agreements with a pair of pitchers - Josh Fogg and Ty Taubenheim.
- Tim gave us his ten worst free agent signings of the offseason.
- Need a baseball refresher course? Ben ran down all the stats MLBTR readers need to know.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
"Good Chance" Angels Trade Trumbo During Meetings Rajai Davis Nearing Deal; Tigers, Twins In Mix Quick Hits: Diaz, Francoeur, Pie, Beltran, O's David Price Rumors: Monday Rockies Rumors: Pomeranz, Davis, Anderson, Hammel Jeff Samardzija Rumors: Monday 12 Teams In On Jason Hammel Nationals Eyeing J.P. Howell, Scott Downs NL Central Notes: Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, Hart Latest On Masahiro Tanaka Reliever Rumors: Mets, Orioles, Mariners, Tigers Mets Exploring Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy Trades Indians Willing To Listen On Justin Masterson Blue Jays Rumors: Lind, Loney, Moreland, Morrison Lucas Harrell Drawing Trade Interest
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors