A week ago we looked at the total free agent dollars brokered by top agencies during the 2009-10 offseason. Today we expand the study to include arbitration contracts and multiyear deals as well. The time period used stops at Opening Day, so several recent deals are not included. Eighteen agencies brokered more than $25MM during the offseason; here's the list:
- CAA: $253.292MM. The Jason Bay, Roy Halladay, and Joe Blanton deals were their biggest. Their total comes from 26 total contracts.
- Octagon: $212.5MM. Big scores: John Lackey, Felix Hernandez, and Franklin Gutierrez. It's not included in the figure here, but it should be noted that including Kenji Johjima, Octagon did almost an extra $15MM in Japan.
- Boras Corporation: $202.23MM. Matt Holliday was Boras' major contract this offseason.
- Shapiro/Maas: $184MM. All Joe Mauer.
- ACES: $164.893MM. The Levinson brothers' deals were more spread out - Chone Figgins, Shane Victorino, Placido Polanco, Marlon Byrd, Jason Marquis, and others.
- SFX: $148.9MM. Justin Verlander was their big one.
- Beverly Hills Sports Council: $132.92MM. Their total includes the most players, at 28. Their biggest: Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson, Mark Reynolds, and Jose Valverde. With Lincecum and Albert Pujols on the roster, this agency will remain healthy.
- Wasserman Media Group: $105MM. WMG had a pair of decent-sized deals with Randy Wolf and Joel Pineiro.
- Hendricks Sports: $71.76MM. Aroldis Chapman and Huston Street exceeded $20MM each.
- Reynolds Sports Management: $69.65MM. They've got the Upton brothers, and Justin's contract makes up most of the total.
- Sosnick/Cobbe: $61.25MM. Their total is led by Josh Johnson's deal. Though it's not included in the total, Sosnick/Cobbe also landed $2MM worth of deals in Japan for Darrell Rasner and Randy Messenger.
- Peter Greenberg: $47.625MM. Bobby Abreu and Marco Scutaro were the big contributors.
- TWC Sports: $43.1115MM. They landed Tim Hudson's contract, among others.
- LSW Baseball: $35.67MM. Their total is spread among 11 players, none exceeding Kelly Shoppach's $5.55MM extension.
- Legacy Sports: $34.5MM. Contracts for Bobby Jenks and Brad Penny led the way.
- Barry Meister: $28.625MM. Brandon Lyon's $15MM deal was the leader.
- Sexton/Landrum/Williams: $27.5MM. This group was behind Matt Cain's $23MM extension.
- Career Sports: $24.845MM. Mark DeRosa's $12MM pact played a large role.
The figures are accurate to the best of our knowledge, but please contact us if you have any corrections.