The summer months are almost upon us! Let's take a look back at what the last week of May had to offer:
- More talk about Roy Oswalt and the long list of teams who'd like to acquire his services. There have been reports that the Rangers have inquired on the Houston ace, and the Yankees are unlikely to make a play. Oswalt would love to pitch for the Cardinals, and with Kyle Lohse injured there's an opening in the rotation, but the Cards aren't in need of another big-name pitcher, but more of a back-end starter. The Nationals are another team that continues to come up; MLBTR's Howard Megdal looked at how the two teams could align for a potential trade. The Dodgers have also inquired on both Oswalt and Cliff Lee.
- Lee could be more appealing than Oswalt, given his contract. This week we heard about Lee's availability and how it affects Oswalt's value.
- Another potential name on the list could be Ben Sheets. Our own Ben (Nicholson-Smith) examined Sheets' trade value this week.
- One name to look for on the buyers' market this summer is the Blue Jays. If Toronto continues its hot start, they could look to upgrade at first base or add pitching.
- The Phillies could be in the market for relief help, as they were said to be scouting Bobby Jenks and J.J. Putz this week.
- We haven't seen much on the trade front yet, but at least one GM expects trade talks to pick up after the draft. Here's a look at some of the biggest June deals over recent years.
- It was a big week for some of the game's top prospects. Buster Posey was finally recalled from Triple-A and didn't disappoint in a stellar debut for the Giants. We also learned that Stephen Strasburg's first start will likely come in the Nationals' early June series against the Pirates.
- Fourteen different players were either released or designated for assignment this week, so check out our Transactions section to make sure you can keep up. A few quick mentions: Alan Embree was released by the White Sox, ditto for Brian Bruney in Washington. As for the DFAs, Randy Winn was designated by the Yankees, and the Tigers DFA'ed Dontrelle Willis.
- On the other side of the coin, the Giants signed Pat Burrell, the Yankees picked up Chad Gaudin, and the Braves signed Cuban outfielder Yasser Gomez, who defected in late 2008.
- Mike continued to profile the potential top picks in this year's amateur draft. Updates this week included Anthony Ranaudo, Jameson Taillon, and Manny Machado. We also got a look at the Top 10 prospects out of the Dominican Republic, as July 2 approaches.
- And lastly, here's a sneak peak at the current Elias Rankings courtesy of Eddie Bajek.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors