Let's take our weekly look back at the last seven days here on MLBTR:
- Pat Burrell's time in Tampa Bay seems to have finally run out. After a disappointing 2009 and a slow start in 2010, he was designated for assignment by the Rays, who called up Hank Blalock in his place. Burrell's two-year, $16MM contract may have seemed reasonable at the time, given the club's 2008 struggles with left-handed pitching, but hindsight is always 20/20. Here's a look at what could be in store for the former #1 overall pick.
- Several other players were designated for assignment this week as well. The Nationals DFA'ed Willy Taveras, and the A's designated Edwar Ramirez for assignment to make room for Jack Cust. Josh Rupe was DFA'ed by the Royals and cleared waivers.
- Frank Catalanotto was designated for assignment by the Mets, and now seems likely to retire. If he does retire, Catalnotto will finish up his career with a .291/.357/.445 line over 14 seasons having earned a little more than $21.4MM according to Baseball Reference. Not bad Frank... not bad at all.
- The Indians released their 2004 third-round pick Scott Lewis, despite some strong numbers in Triple-A from the left-hander this season. The Rockies released Tim Redding, who was soon signed by the Yankees. I'm thinking if Redding can still find work, Lewis will see another opportunity as well.
- Other minor moves this week included the White Sox signing veteran lefty Alan Embree, and Doug Mientkiewicz opting out of his minor league contract with the Marlins.
- It was a rough week for Ken Griffey Jr., following the stories that he may have been sleeping in the clubhouse during a potential pinch hitting appearance. Much has been made of Griffey's struggles this season, including speculation that he could be released soon. If you ask Griffey though, he's not headed for retirement just yet.
- The Royals fired manager Trey Hillman this week, after the skipper had failed to achieve success over his two-plus seasons in Kansas City. The Royals were 55 games under .500 during Hillman's tenure in Kansas City, though it's not as if he had much to work with. Ned Yost will take over as the club's manager.
- One name to watch for on this season's trade market will be Roy Oswalt. The 32-year-old Astro ace has said that he's open to being traded this summer if Houston needs to rebuild.
- MLBTR's Mike Axisa began looking at a few of the big names we'll see in this year's draft, starting with Drew Pomeranz and Yasmani Grandal.
- Updates to the 2011 Contract Issues series included the Yankees, Twins, and White Sox.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rockies And Athletics Explored Brett Anderson Trade Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Quick Hits: Astros, Papelbon, Happ, Betancourt Orioles Sign Francisco Peguero Central Notes: Phillips, Axford, Joba, Buck Yankees Notes: Infante, Price, Drew, Choo NL West Notes: Kemp, Veras, Crain, Padres Reaction & Analysis To Robinson Cano's Signing Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors