Let's take a look back at the week that was on the eve of the MLB Draft..
- The Orioles fired manager Dave Trembley after the club got off to a 15-39 start under his direction and dropped eight consecutive games. Baltimore appointed Juan Samuel to be the team's interim skipper.
- After 22 seasons and 630 home runs, Ken Griffey Jr. has decided to call it a career.
- The Angels won't deal for Mike Lowell, but the M's, Rangers, or White Sox might.
- Kevin Millwood and Ty Wigginton are open to playing for the Mets if the O's become sellers.
- The Cards reached agreement on a deal with 18-year-old Dominican righthander Carlos Matias. Matias was one of the best hurlers on the international market this year.
- Brian Bruney signed a minor league deal with the Brewers though he has the right to opt out in a month.
- Kansas City claimed pitcher Kanekoa Texeira off of waivers from the M's. The Royals have to expose the Hawaiian to waivers if they decide to take him off of their roster. If no one claims him, they have to offer him back to the Yankees - his team prior to being taken in the Rule 5 draft.
- It was reported on Friday night that the Royals have struck a deal with catcher Yasmani Grandal for the fourth overall pick. Mike recently took a look at Grandal, calling him the best catcher in the 2010 draft.
- After being DFA'd by the Yankees last week, Randy Winn found a new home with the Cardinals.
- The Blue Jays signed DeWayne Wise to a minor league deal days after he opted out of his deal with the Phillies. Philly filled the void by inking Willy Taveras to a minor league deal.
- Nelson Figueroa was DFA'd by the Phillies but accepted a Triple A assignment with the club after clearing waivers.
- The Mets designated Gary Matthews Jr. for assignment. Matthews will earn $11MM for this season and $12MM for 2011 which will be paid mostly by the Angels.
- Reliever Claudio Vargas was released by Milwaukee.
- The Rays may have found themselves a bargain with their signing of Jose Julio Ruiz.
- Howard took a look back at the 1995 trade deadline.
- Mike continued his look at the top players in the 2010 MLB Draft with posts on prospects such as Michael Choice, Chris Sale, and Matt Harvey.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors