Do you know what time it is? If you said "game time", I'll award you partial credit. It's Sunday night, which means it's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- In a surprising move, the Mariners brought Russell Branyan back to the club in a trade with the Indians. The M's gave up minor leaguers Ezequiel Carrera and Juan Diaz to pull off the reunion. Seattle will pay the remaining money owed to Branyan for this year, roughly $1.1MM, while the Tribe will pick up the tab on the buyout for his mutual $5MM option.
- The Nationals are reportedly exploring a trade for Arizona's Edwin Jackson.
- Cliff Lee is a top candidate to be traded near the deadline, but Seattle may be willing to deal him well before we reach July 31st. Meanwhile, the Rangers have room to take on a rental player as their ownership situation will not be a factor. The Mets, another top suitor, are willing to take on Lee without a negotiating window.
- Florida decided to let manager Fredi Gonzalez go. We've heard lots of talk about Bobby Valentine becoming their next manager. At the time of this post, it's all still up in the air.
- Christian Colon, the Royals' first round pick selected fourth overall, signed with the club. He'll receive a $2.75MM bonus in the minor league deal. To keep up with all of the major signings in the 2010 draft, you can refer to this handy post.
- The Orioles acquired Jake Fox from the A's for minor league pitcher Ross Wolf. The move led to the club designating Garrett Atkins for assignment.
- The Red Sox pulled the trigger on a minor deal when they acquired Eric Patterson from the A's in exchange for minor league lefty Fabian Williamson. Patterson was designated for assignment earlier in the week.
- There were no takers for Akinori Iwamura whom the Pirates designated for assignment.
- Meanwhile, the BoSox are looking for a more significant upgrade in the outfield.
- The Giants emerged as possible suitors for David DeJesus but most of you think that he'll end up with the Braves.
- The Mets acquired outfielder Jorge Padilla from the Blue Jays in exchange for pitcher Clint Everts.
- The Cards picked up Renyel Pinto after he was cut loose by the Marlins on Wednesday.
- Dana Eveland was DFA'd for the third time this year, this time by the Pirates.
- The Angels will not be limited as the trade deadline approaches.
- Brewers owner Mark Attanasio says that he's not interested in dismantling his ballclub.
- Knuckleballer Charlie Haeger was DFA'd by the Dodgers. Meanwhile, they brought Jesus Colome on board with a minor league deal.
- Armando Benitez will try to work his way back to the big leagues once again after signing a minor league deal with the Marlins.
- Kevin Cash, Casey Daigle, and Cory Sullivan were all designated for assignment by the Astros this week. Cash and Daigle will accept their minor league assignments while Sullivan has elected free agency.
- Veteran pitcher Ramon Ortiz was scooped up by the Mets.
- The Padres acquired Kyle Phillips from Toronto for a PTBNL.
- Milwaukee cut reliever Brian Bruney loose.
- Edwin Encarnacion was DFA'd by Toronto and subsequently outrighted to Triple-A.
- The Marlins designated reliever Jorge Sosa for assignment and later outrighted him to Triple-A.
- Chad Tracy struggled in 49 plate appearances for the Cubs this season and was DFA'd on Friday.
- Oakland acquired minor league catcher Jared Price from the White Sox.
- The Yankees DFA'd Chad Moeller, but the catcher cleared waivers.
- Howard Megdal took a look back at the 1993 trade deadline.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors