Wednesday was another typically busy day in Orlando at the Winter Meetings. Let's run down the most noteworthy news and rumors since yesterday's Day in Review post....
- The Red Sox struck again, agreeing to terms with Carl Crawford on a seven-year, $142MM deal just days after acquiring Adrian Gonzalez. The news came as a surprise to many who viewed the Angels as the favorites to land Crawford, and it figures to create an interesting fallout. Early feedback on the signing has been mostly positive.
- Another ex-Ray, Carlos Pena officially signed with the Cubs.
- The Diamondbacks made a push for Paul Konerko, but the long-time White Sox first baseman ultimately agreed to re-sign with Chicago for three years and $37.5MM.
- The Yankees finally made a formal offer to Cliff Lee, proposing a six-year pact worth $140MM. Meanwhile, the Red Sox, who were attempting to drive up Lee's cost, were identified as one of the mystery teams who had made a seven-year bid on Lee, albeit at a reduced price. Here are the rest of Wednesday's Lee rumblings.
- The Rays and Twins decided to trade their starting shortstops, with Jason Bartlett heading to San Diego and J.J. Hardy on his way to Baltimore.
- There were also plenty of trade talks that didn't result in any deals - at least not yet. The Cubs pursued Matt Garza, the Rangers continued to listen on Michael Young, and the Marlins had a few discussions involving Ricky Nolasco, Leo Nunez, and Zack Greinke. Speaking of Greinke, here are the rest of Wednesday's rumors on him.
- The Royals reached agreements with a pair of former Braves, adding Jeff Francoeur and Melky Cabrera on one-year deals.
- Jack Cust will be the newest Mariner, agreeing to sign a one-year contract with Seattle. Could Miguel Olivo be next? The Mariners appear to have serious interest in the backstop.
- Although the Twins are still considered the front-runners for Carl Pavano's services, the Brewers dominated the day's Pavano rumors.
- Another intriguing free agent, Russell Martin, is fielding offers from multiple teams.
- A pair of NL East rivals agreed to sign left-handed relievers to similar deals: the Braves will pay George Sherrill $1.2MM for 2011, while Dennis Reyes' one-year contract with the Phillies guarantees him $1.25MM.
- Koji Uehara and the Orioles reached an agreement that will keep the right-hander in Baltimore for two years, if he stays healthy enough for the 2012 option to vest.
- Two National League teams added backup catchers, as Dioner Navarro agreed to terms with the Dodgers and Wil Nieves agreed to sign with Milwaukee.
- The Diamondbacks re-signed Mike Hampton and are close to adding Henry Blanco as well.
- On the heels of his best season since 2004, Miguel Cairo received a multiyear guarantee, signing a two-year pact with the Reds.
- The Mets continued their offseason of affordable acquisitions, inking Boof Bonser to a minor league deal.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Camden Riversharks Sign Wilson Valdez White Sox Outright Angel Sanchez Rangers Claim Joe Benson Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring Draft Links: Manaea, McGuire, Prep Catchers East Links: Braves, Nolin, Wheeler, Wada Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Walker, Hughes, Vogelsong The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors