Wednesday was another typically busy day in Orlando at the Winter Meetings. Let's run down the most noteworthy news and rumors since yesterday's Day in Review post....
- The Red Sox struck again, agreeing to terms with Carl Crawford on a seven-year, $142MM deal just days after acquiring Adrian Gonzalez. The news came as a surprise to many who viewed the Angels as the favorites to land Crawford, and it figures to create an interesting fallout. Early feedback on the signing has been mostly positive.
- Another ex-Ray, Carlos Pena officially signed with the Cubs.
- The Diamondbacks made a push for Paul Konerko, but the long-time White Sox first baseman ultimately agreed to re-sign with Chicago for three years and $37.5MM.
- The Yankees finally made a formal offer to Cliff Lee, proposing a six-year pact worth $140MM. Meanwhile, the Red Sox, who were attempting to drive up Lee's cost, were identified as one of the mystery teams who had made a seven-year bid on Lee, albeit at a reduced price. Here are the rest of Wednesday's Lee rumblings.
- The Rays and Twins decided to trade their starting shortstops, with Jason Bartlett heading to San Diego and J.J. Hardy on his way to Baltimore.
- There were also plenty of trade talks that didn't result in any deals - at least not yet. The Cubs pursued Matt Garza, the Rangers continued to listen on Michael Young, and the Marlins had a few discussions involving Ricky Nolasco, Leo Nunez, and Zack Greinke. Speaking of Greinke, here are the rest of Wednesday's rumors on him.
- The Royals reached agreements with a pair of former Braves, adding Jeff Francoeur and Melky Cabrera on one-year deals.
- Jack Cust will be the newest Mariner, agreeing to sign a one-year contract with Seattle. Could Miguel Olivo be next? The Mariners appear to have serious interest in the backstop.
- Although the Twins are still considered the front-runners for Carl Pavano's services, the Brewers dominated the day's Pavano rumors.
- Another intriguing free agent, Russell Martin, is fielding offers from multiple teams.
- A pair of NL East rivals agreed to sign left-handed relievers to similar deals: the Braves will pay George Sherrill $1.2MM for 2011, while Dennis Reyes' one-year contract with the Phillies guarantees him $1.25MM.
- Koji Uehara and the Orioles reached an agreement that will keep the right-hander in Baltimore for two years, if he stays healthy enough for the 2012 option to vest.
- Two National League teams added backup catchers, as Dioner Navarro agreed to terms with the Dodgers and Wil Nieves agreed to sign with Milwaukee.
- The Diamondbacks re-signed Mike Hampton and are close to adding Henry Blanco as well.
- On the heels of his best season since 2004, Miguel Cairo received a multiyear guarantee, signing a two-year pact with the Reds.
- The Mets continued their offseason of affordable acquisitions, inking Boof Bonser to a minor league deal.
White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cubs Sign Wesley Wright Mariners Could Make Move To Acquire David Price AL Notes: Fister, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays Red Sox Notes: Bradley, Drew, Napoli, Pierzynski Ellsbury Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Gardner, Choo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong NPB Officials Planning To Accept $20MM Maximum Posting Fee Minor Moves: Pridie, Brewers, Twins NL East Notes: Lincoln, Coghlan, Morrison Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Cubs Likely To Trade Samardzija This Offseason D-Backs Looking To Trade Market For Ace, Power Bats Mariners May Have Topped Yankees' Offer To Cano Athletics Designate Andrew Werner For Assignment Tigers Designate Dixon Machado For Assignment
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors