A grab bag of overnight links, as we look forward to updates out of Orlando….
- WEEI.com's Alex Speier hears from a source that Adrian Gonzalez has wanted to play for the Red Sox for a "really long time." There is no set deal for an extension in place, but rather an understanding of what it will take, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
- In a separate piece, Speier notes that the Nationals' signing of Jayson Werth significantly increases Boston's chances of receiving a first round pick from the Tigers as compensation for Victor Martinez.
- Though Speier suggests the Red Sox didn't ultimately make a formal offer to Werth, MLB.com's Peter Gammons says Boston's interest affected the Nationals' negotiations.
- In a preview of the winter meetings from the Dodgers' perspective, Dylan Hernandez and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times explain how Vicente Padilla could still fit into the team's plans.
- Daniel Bard tells Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that he'd like to see the Red Sox add some veteran bullpen help.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic identifies some potential free agent targets for the Diamondbacks.