One of the busiest weeks in MLBTR history has come to a close, as the 2010 Winter Meetings are officially in the books. Here's your look back at the past seven days:
- No way to link to everything that happened during the Meetings, but as part of our 24/7 coverage we provided daily recaps of the action. Here's a look at Day One, Day Two, Day Three, and Day Four.
- Be sure to check out our Transactions page to see everything that went down this past week, but for the purposes of this post, we'll cover the big moves and most active teams, starting with Boston's acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez. San Diego received Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes, and a player to be named later. After nearly two years of expressing trade interest, Boston landed the big first baseman. The Red Sox want to extend him, but there's no deal in place so far.
- Gonzalez was just a warm-up for Theo Epstein, who also signed Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142MM deal later in the week. Much had been made about the Angels' interest in Crawford, but the Sox outbid their competition and added two of the game's best players in a four-day span.
- The other top free agent outfielder came off the board too, as Jayson Werth signed his own seven-year deal with the Nationals. Washington came from out of nowhere with a $126MM bid to secure Werth's services.
- The Cubs found a replacement for Derrek Lee when they signed Carlos Pena to a one-year deal worth $10MM. Half of the money on Pena's deal is deferred.
- On the other side of Chicago, the White Sox resolved their own first base situation when they re-signed Paul Konerko to a three-year deal worth $37.5MM. Konerko and newly-signed Adam Dunn should create a fearsome 3-4 tandem on the South Side.
- Lots of trades and near-trades this week. In addition to the Gonzalez deal, we saw the Brewers and Blue Jays make a swap of Brett Lawrie and Shaun Marcum. The Brew Crew is already hoping to extend their new righty.
- Baltimore's infield has a new look. They acquired Mark Reynolds in exchange for David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio. The Orioles also acquired J.J. Hardy on the cheap from Minnesota, giving up Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey. The O's received $500K in the deal as well, though they had to take on Brendan Harris and his $1.75MM salary. Lastly, Baltimore signed one of the better relievers available, securing the return of Koji Uehara on a $3MM deal.
- A similar deal to the Hardy trade may or may not go through; the Padres are attempting to acquire Jason Bartlett from Tampa Bay in exchange for Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos, but there's been a hitch in either Ramos or Russell's physical.
- Scott Downs landed the next big contract for free agent relievers, securing himself $15MM over three years with the Angels. That deal could have some implications for Rafael Soriano, who was seen as a good fit for the Angels.
- Odd as it sounds, the Pirates signed a trio of players and are looking at a trade for a fourth. Kevin Correia and Matt Diaz both received two-year deals, while Scott Olsen got a high-incentive one-year deal. Pittsburgh is also looking into acquiring Kenshin Kawakami.
- In addition to trading Reynolds, the D'Backs also had a trio of signings, including their new closer, J.J. Putz, for two years and $10MM with a club option, as well as Melvin Mora on a one-year deal for $2MM and Mike Hampton on a minor league deal.
- Ty Wigginton suprisingly found a two-year deal, signing with Colorado for $8MM. The Rockies have had a busy and expensive offseason to date.
- Former Rockie Miguel Olivo received a two-year contract of his own, signing in Seattle for $7MM. Seattle has had Olivo in the past, and is looking for better results this time around.
- More than just trades and signings this week: The Reds likely used Justin Upton's contract as a model in extending Jay Bruce for six years and $51MM. Cincinnati holds a $13MM club option for 2017 as well.
- This week was also home to the 2010 Rule 5 Draft, the results of which can be viewed right here.
- Cliff Lee rumors swirled all week, though the latest is that the Yankees have a seven-year deal on the table while the Rangers are likely maxing out at six guaranteed and possibly a vesting option for a seventh year. His decision may come as soon as Monday night.
Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mets Sign David Aardsma Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, Cubs Quick Hits: Gose, Dodgers, Relief Market Mark Teahen Granted Release From D'Backs Trade Market For Lefty Relievers Latest On Nationals, Mike Rizzo Which Players Will Be Traded This Summer? MLBTR Originals NL West Notes: Mattingly, Goldschmidt, Gregorius East Notes: Braves, Brignac, Cabrera Week In Review: 5/12/13 - 5/18/13 AL West Notes: Profar, Astros, Mariners Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment NL Central Notes: Hart, Choo, Arroyo, Cardinals Minor Moves: Barry Enright, Bill Hall
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors