As the NFL season comes to an end, the MLB season is fast approaching. Let's take a look at the last week's worth of late offseason action:
- Congratulations to Andy Pettitte on a terrific career. After 16 Major League seasons, the southpaw is calling it a career. The Yankees were prepared to pay him $12MM, but Pettitte will take his 3.88 ERA and spend time with his family instead. Here's some media reactions to his retirement. Good luck in life after baseball Andy.
- The Orioles made a pair of signings this week, adding Vladimir Guerrero for one year and $8MM (with $2MM deferred) and Justin Duchscherer for one year and $700K plus incentives. They won't take the division, but the O's have made some serious upgrades to their on-field product this offseason.
- There's not much time before the deadline to work out an extension with Albert Pujols, but talks between him and the Cardinals are not going well at this point. One positive note for Cards fans is that Jim Edmonds will return for his ninth season as a Cardinal with an eye on 400 career homers.
- The White Sox announced a four-year, $32.5MM extension for Alexei Ramirez this week. On the other side of town, the Cubs are nearing an extension of their own with Carlos Marmol.
- Colorado extended Rafael Betancourt's contract by one year, guaranteeing their setup man another $4MM. The deal also has a mutual option for $4.25MM.
- The Michael Young saga continues. The Rangers are once again exploring trades for him, and here's everything we learned about the situation on Saturday. Earlier today, we heard that Young wants out of Texas.
- The Indians are working to sign Kevin Millwood and Jeremy Bonderman as well. Cleveland could use some depth in the rotation beyond Fausto Carmona, though the Yankees are also talking to Millwood. The Tigers announced this week that Bonderman won't be back.
- The Giants made some personnel decisions this week, exercising the options on manager Bruce Bochy and GM Brian Sabean. They also hired Lou Piniella as a front office consultant.
- Notable arbitration news for the week included the Twins and Francisco Liriano settling on a $4.3MM salary, the Dodgers and Hong-Chih Kuo settling on a $2.725MM salary, the Reds and Edinson Volquez settling on a $1.625MM salary, and the Mets hammering out a two-year, $7.5MM deal for R.A. Dickey.
- Robinson Cano hired Scott Boras as his agent this week -- that should be entertaining when the two sides discuss a new contract.
- Notable minor league deals included the Red Sox signing Dennys Reyes, the Rays signing Juan Cruz, the Yankees signing Eric Chavez plus Freddy Garcia, and the White Sox signing Lastings Milledge. For all of the week's minor moves, check our Transactions section.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors