As the NFL season comes to an end, the MLB season is fast approaching. Let's take a look at the last week's worth of late offseason action:
- Congratulations to Andy Pettitte on a terrific career. After 16 Major League seasons, the southpaw is calling it a career. The Yankees were prepared to pay him $12MM, but Pettitte will take his 3.88 ERA and spend time with his family instead. Here's some media reactions to his retirement. Good luck in life after baseball Andy.
- The Orioles made a pair of signings this week, adding Vladimir Guerrero for one year and $8MM (with $2MM deferred) and Justin Duchscherer for one year and $700K plus incentives. They won't take the division, but the O's have made some serious upgrades to their on-field product this offseason.
- There's not much time before the deadline to work out an extension with Albert Pujols, but talks between him and the Cardinals are not going well at this point. One positive note for Cards fans is that Jim Edmonds will return for his ninth season as a Cardinal with an eye on 400 career homers.
- The White Sox announced a four-year, $32.5MM extension for Alexei Ramirez this week. On the other side of town, the Cubs are nearing an extension of their own with Carlos Marmol.
- Colorado extended Rafael Betancourt's contract by one year, guaranteeing their setup man another $4MM. The deal also has a mutual option for $4.25MM.
- The Michael Young saga continues. The Rangers are once again exploring trades for him, and here's everything we learned about the situation on Saturday. Earlier today, we heard that Young wants out of Texas.
- The Indians are working to sign Kevin Millwood and Jeremy Bonderman as well. Cleveland could use some depth in the rotation beyond Fausto Carmona, though the Yankees are also talking to Millwood. The Tigers announced this week that Bonderman won't be back.
- The Giants made some personnel decisions this week, exercising the options on manager Bruce Bochy and GM Brian Sabean. They also hired Lou Piniella as a front office consultant.
- Notable arbitration news for the week included the Twins and Francisco Liriano settling on a $4.3MM salary, the Dodgers and Hong-Chih Kuo settling on a $2.725MM salary, the Reds and Edinson Volquez settling on a $1.625MM salary, and the Mets hammering out a two-year, $7.5MM deal for R.A. Dickey.
- Robinson Cano hired Scott Boras as his agent this week -- that should be entertaining when the two sides discuss a new contract.
- Notable minor league deals included the Red Sox signing Dennys Reyes, the Rays signing Juan Cruz, the Yankees signing Eric Chavez plus Freddy Garcia, and the White Sox signing Lastings Milledge. For all of the week's minor moves, check our Transactions section.
Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Red Sox, Coghlan, Beltran Rangers Moving Toward Deal With J.P. Arencibia West Notes: Cano, Angels, Rockies, Hudson Minor Moves: Clay Rapada Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson New York Notes: Granderson, Aoki, Choo Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Yankees Optimistic About Hiroki Kuroda's Return White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Mariners Could Offer Cano $225MM NL Notes: Braves, Cubs, Phillies, Pirates, Mets Central Notes: Aoki, Hughes, Dunn Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rangers Sign Jose Contreras Rays Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors