As the NFL season comes to an end, the MLB season is fast approaching. Let's take a look at the last week's worth of late offseason action:
- Congratulations to Andy Pettitte on a terrific career. After 16 Major League seasons, the southpaw is calling it a career. The Yankees were prepared to pay him $12MM, but Pettitte will take his 3.88 ERA and spend time with his family instead. Here's some media reactions to his retirement. Good luck in life after baseball Andy.
- The Orioles made a pair of signings this week, adding Vladimir Guerrero for one year and $8MM (with $2MM deferred) and Justin Duchscherer for one year and $700K plus incentives. They won't take the division, but the O's have made some serious upgrades to their on-field product this offseason.
- There's not much time before the deadline to work out an extension with Albert Pujols, but talks between him and the Cardinals are not going well at this point. One positive note for Cards fans is that Jim Edmonds will return for his ninth season as a Cardinal with an eye on 400 career homers.
- The White Sox announced a four-year, $32.5MM extension for Alexei Ramirez this week. On the other side of town, the Cubs are nearing an extension of their own with Carlos Marmol.
- Colorado extended Rafael Betancourt's contract by one year, guaranteeing their setup man another $4MM. The deal also has a mutual option for $4.25MM.
- The Michael Young saga continues. The Rangers are once again exploring trades for him, and here's everything we learned about the situation on Saturday. Earlier today, we heard that Young wants out of Texas.
- The Indians are working to sign Kevin Millwood and Jeremy Bonderman as well. Cleveland could use some depth in the rotation beyond Fausto Carmona, though the Yankees are also talking to Millwood. The Tigers announced this week that Bonderman won't be back.
- The Giants made some personnel decisions this week, exercising the options on manager Bruce Bochy and GM Brian Sabean. They also hired Lou Piniella as a front office consultant.
- Notable arbitration news for the week included the Twins and Francisco Liriano settling on a $4.3MM salary, the Dodgers and Hong-Chih Kuo settling on a $2.725MM salary, the Reds and Edinson Volquez settling on a $1.625MM salary, and the Mets hammering out a two-year, $7.5MM deal for R.A. Dickey.
- Robinson Cano hired Scott Boras as his agent this week -- that should be entertaining when the two sides discuss a new contract.
- Notable minor league deals included the Red Sox signing Dennys Reyes, the Rays signing Juan Cruz, the Yankees signing Eric Chavez plus Freddy Garcia, and the White Sox signing Lastings Milledge. For all of the week's minor moves, check our Transactions section.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rays Notes: Price, Odorizzi, Loney, Johnson Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors