Spring Training is in the air at last... let's run down the last seven days as baseball sneaks up on us:
- The Rangers and reigning AL MVP Josh Hamilton agreed to terms on a two-year, $24MM contract buying out his final two years of arbitration eligibility. Like his NL counterpart Joey Votto, Hamilton's deal doesn't delay his free agency.
- More drama circulated around Hamilton's teammate, Michael Young, who has requested to be traded. As of Thursday, it sounds like Young isn't going anywhere though. We know the Rangers reportedly lost one trade partner when the Rockies backed out of negotiations on Tuesday.
- We saw two arbitration cases go to hearings this week: Ross Ohlendorf beat the Pirates to earn a $2.025MM contract, while Jered Weaver lost his hearing to the Angels who will pay the 2011 strikeout king $7.365MM.
- The Indians signed Orlando Cabrera to a Major League deal; he'll compete for the team's second base job where he'd pair with another Cabrera (Asdrubal) up the middle if he succeeds.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with a couple of players, agreeing to a one-year deal with Jeremy Guthrie and also with Luke Scott. Guthrie will earn $5.75MM while Scott will get a $6.4MM payday.
- The Dodgers avoided arbitration with James Loney, agreeing to a one-year deal that will pay the first baseman $4.875MM.
- Jose Bautista set a deadline for his extension talks, stating that he wouldn't discuss a new deal after his arbitration hearing on Monday.
- Speaking of deadlines, Albert Pujols set his for the Cardinals at Feb. 16. As of Friday, word was that the chances of an extension before the season were nearly nonexistent.
- We learned this week that Edinson Volquez rejected a four-year extension from the Reds, while the Brewers re-opened their negotiations on a long-term deal for Rickie Weeks.
- Having already traded Mike Napoli, the Blue Jays are also interested in dealing the other half of their return for Vernon Wells -- Juan Rivera.
- Add Michael Bourn to the ever-growing list of Scott Boras clients. The Houston center fielder switched agents on Friday.
- International signings this week saw the Nationals ink a pair of Dominican prospects and six other teams sign international free agents as well. Also, the Red Sox are nearing a minor league deal with Japanese lefty Itsuki Shoda.
- Some of this week's minor league signings included Casey Fossum with the Mets, Manny Delcarmen with the Mariners, and Luis Ayala with the Yankees, who also voided their deal with Luis Vizcaino. Vizcaino tore his Achilles Tendon in Winter ball. Check our Transactions section for all the minor moves this week.
- Bengie Molina is talking to a couple of unnamed teams about playing in 2011, but the 36-year-old World Series veteran is still undecided about whether or not he'll play.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors