Spring Training is in the air at last... let's run down the last seven days as baseball sneaks up on us:
- The Rangers and reigning AL MVP Josh Hamilton agreed to terms on a two-year, $24MM contract buying out his final two years of arbitration eligibility. Like his NL counterpart Joey Votto, Hamilton's deal doesn't delay his free agency.
- More drama circulated around Hamilton's teammate, Michael Young, who has requested to be traded. As of Thursday, it sounds like Young isn't going anywhere though. We know the Rangers reportedly lost one trade partner when the Rockies backed out of negotiations on Tuesday.
- We saw two arbitration cases go to hearings this week: Ross Ohlendorf beat the Pirates to earn a $2.025MM contract, while Jered Weaver lost his hearing to the Angels who will pay the 2011 strikeout king $7.365MM.
- The Indians signed Orlando Cabrera to a Major League deal; he'll compete for the team's second base job where he'd pair with another Cabrera (Asdrubal) up the middle if he succeeds.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with a couple of players, agreeing to a one-year deal with Jeremy Guthrie and also with Luke Scott. Guthrie will earn $5.75MM while Scott will get a $6.4MM payday.
- The Dodgers avoided arbitration with James Loney, agreeing to a one-year deal that will pay the first baseman $4.875MM.
- Jose Bautista set a deadline for his extension talks, stating that he wouldn't discuss a new deal after his arbitration hearing on Monday.
- Speaking of deadlines, Albert Pujols set his for the Cardinals at Feb. 16. As of Friday, word was that the chances of an extension before the season were nearly nonexistent.
- We learned this week that Edinson Volquez rejected a four-year extension from the Reds, while the Brewers re-opened their negotiations on a long-term deal for Rickie Weeks.
- Having already traded Mike Napoli, the Blue Jays are also interested in dealing the other half of their return for Vernon Wells -- Juan Rivera.
- Add Michael Bourn to the ever-growing list of Scott Boras clients. The Houston center fielder switched agents on Friday.
- International signings this week saw the Nationals ink a pair of Dominican prospects and six other teams sign international free agents as well. Also, the Red Sox are nearing a minor league deal with Japanese lefty Itsuki Shoda.
- Some of this week's minor league signings included Casey Fossum with the Mets, Manny Delcarmen with the Mariners, and Luis Ayala with the Yankees, who also voided their deal with Luis Vizcaino. Vizcaino tore his Achilles Tendon in Winter ball. Check our Transactions section for all the minor moves this week.
- Bengie Molina is talking to a couple of unnamed teams about playing in 2011, but the 36-year-old World Series veteran is still undecided about whether or not he'll play.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors