Mets GM Sandy Alderson held a blogger conference call today, and Metsblog.com's Michael Baron has the transcript. Here are some of the hot stove-related notes...
- Fan sentiment "came into play" in Luis Castillo's release, Alderson said. The Mets "became aware about the sentiment in New York for [Castillo and Oliver Perez]....It's difficult to overcome that, so you evaluate player performance against presumption in the minds of the fans." In Perez's case, Alderson said the southpaw just didn't pitch well enough to make the roster, so the fans' thoughts were moot.
- Alderson says if the Mets are in contention, the club will have the money available to add a player if necessary.
- Alderson thinks his team's farm system is underrated but he says the Mets "need to be more aggressive and successful in developing players out of the draft."
- "There is a very good possibility we will keep both our Rule 5 picks" Alderson said, in regards to Pedro Beato and Brad Emaus. The GM said that Emaus' Rule 5 status was a major reason the team gave him every chance to win the second base job this spring. "If he was not a Rule 5 draftee, he wouldn’t have presented the immediacy that he does," Alderson said. "If he’s not the starting second baseman, I’m not sure how much he helps us in a bench role. At least at the outset, you’re going to give him every opportunity."
- If the Mets have a reduced payroll next season, they should still be able to re-sign Jose Reyes if they wish, given the number of contracts the team has coming off the books this winter.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Brad Emaus | Jose Reyes | Luis Castillo | New York Mets | Oliver Perez | Pedro Beato
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma Free Agent Stock Watch: Edward Mujica Best Command Among 2014 Free Agents Trade Candidate: Bud Norris
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors