Here's a look back at some of the analysis and reporting MLBTR's writing team delivered this week..
- This week, MLBTR learned that the Red Sox released outfielder Jason Place and the Cubs cut right-hander Aaron Shafer loose. Neither player was among their team's top 30 prospects according to Baseball America's Prospect Handbook, though both were former high draft picks.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith spoke to Wade Davis' agent, B.B. Abbott, about the risk they took when agreeing to a four-year extension. Abbott also disclosed the terms of the deal to MLBTR.
- MLBTR was the first to report that the Pirates signed recently-released right-hander Tim Wood. Wood had just been cut loose by the Nationals.
- Take a look at the 2011 predictions from the MLBTR writing staff.
- Mike Axisa took a look at the General Managers whose contracts do not extend beyond 2011.
- Just before Opening Day, Howard Megdal ran down the Alphabet of 2011 storylines.
- I led a discussion on the Marlins' third base options.
- After the Blue Jays declined to exercise his options, we asked out readers if Aaron Hill would finish the year in Toronto.
- Our Offseason In Review series rolled on with looks at the Diamondbacks, Angels, and Yankees.
- MLBTR is looking for a head moderator to be active in regulating the forums. Past bulletin board administrative experience is preferred.
- Did you miss our weekly chat with Tim Dierkes? Don't worry, you can still view the transcript right here.
- Pitcher Edwin Jackson is a breakout candidate in 2011, says Tim.
- Do you run a baseball blog or website? If so, the MLB Trade Rumors widget is the perfect way to pipe in the latest hot stove headlines.
- The Ubaldo Jimenez extension is going well for the Rockies, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- Check out the best of the web in this week's installment of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Fun Fact: Half of baseball's Opening Day starters were first-round selections. Ben Nicholson-Smith also breaks down how each team obtained their No. 1 starters.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors