Time to take a look back at what happened off-the-field during the first full week of the 2011 season...
- The biggest story of the week was the sudden retirement of Manny Ramirez. The Rays' DH called it quits after being informed that he tested positive for a banned substance for the second time in his career, choosing to walk away from the game rather than face a potential 100-game suspension. The overwhelming belief is that the second positive test will keep Manny out of the Hall of Fame.
- Two young right-handers agreed to long-term contracts this weekend. The Red Sox signed Clay Buchholz to a four-year deal worth $30MM with two club options while the Athletics agreed to terms on an extension with Trevor Cahill. It's unknown how many years and how much money Cahill will receive at this time. David Price said he'd be open to a long-term deal with the Rays.
- Pedro Martinez didn't pitch at all last year, but he recently said he's looking to return to help a team get to the World Series. The Red Sox have a leg up on other teams if they choose to pursue their former ace. Ian Snell may return as well.
- The Orioles are among the teams looking to add rotation depth. They're without Brian Matusz and Justin Duchscherer due to injury, and currently have prospect Zach Britton pitching well every fifth day.
- Dennys Reyes' tenure with the Red Sox lasted barely a week; he was designated for assignment on Friday. The White Sox designated Lastings Milledge for assignment after just two games played, and the Brewers DFA'd Dan Merklinger.
- The Yankees added some pitching depth by signing Carlos Silva to a minor league contract. The Cubs brought Ramon Ortiz aboard, and the Rangers did the same with Manny Corpas, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.
- The other minor league contracts signed this week: Ron Mahay to the Diamondbacks, Doug Mathis to the Giants, Dan Meyer to the Pirates, and Jeff Suppan to the Royals. The Dodgers may guarantee Tim Redding's contract.
- The Rangers are close to adding 23-year-old Cuban outfielder Loen'ys Martin on a contract that could exceed $12MM. The Angels added 20-year-old pitching prospect Nataneal Rodriguez for $180K.
- The Pirates released Craig Hansen, a former first round pick that was part of the Manny trade in 2008. The Rockies cut ties with Greg Smith, who was part of the first Matt Holliday trade.
- Among the players that cleared waivers and were outrighted to Triple-A last week: Manny Acosta (Mets), Mike Ekstrom (Rays), Mark Wagner (Red Sox), Jon Link (Dodgers), John Lindsey (Dodgers), Travis Ishikawa (Giants), Lucas May (Royals), Ryan Rowland-Smith (Astros), and Merklinger. Texas claimed Ramon Aguero off waivers from the Pirates.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Minor Moves: Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors