Time to take a look back at what happened off-the-field during the first full week of the 2011 season...
- The biggest story of the week was the sudden retirement of Manny Ramirez. The Rays' DH called it quits after being informed that he tested positive for a banned substance for the second time in his career, choosing to walk away from the game rather than face a potential 100-game suspension. The overwhelming belief is that the second positive test will keep Manny out of the Hall of Fame.
- Two young right-handers agreed to long-term contracts this weekend. The Red Sox signed Clay Buchholz to a four-year deal worth $30MM with two club options while the Athletics agreed to terms on an extension with Trevor Cahill. It's unknown how many years and how much money Cahill will receive at this time. David Price said he'd be open to a long-term deal with the Rays.
- Pedro Martinez didn't pitch at all last year, but he recently said he's looking to return to help a team get to the World Series. The Red Sox have a leg up on other teams if they choose to pursue their former ace. Ian Snell may return as well.
- The Orioles are among the teams looking to add rotation depth. They're without Brian Matusz and Justin Duchscherer due to injury, and currently have prospect Zach Britton pitching well every fifth day.
- Dennys Reyes' tenure with the Red Sox lasted barely a week; he was designated for assignment on Friday. The White Sox designated Lastings Milledge for assignment after just two games played, and the Brewers DFA'd Dan Merklinger.
- The Yankees added some pitching depth by signing Carlos Silva to a minor league contract. The Cubs brought Ramon Ortiz aboard, and the Rangers did the same with Manny Corpas, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.
- The other minor league contracts signed this week: Ron Mahay to the Diamondbacks, Doug Mathis to the Giants, Dan Meyer to the Pirates, and Jeff Suppan to the Royals. The Dodgers may guarantee Tim Redding's contract.
- The Rangers are close to adding 23-year-old Cuban outfielder Loen'ys Martin on a contract that could exceed $12MM. The Angels added 20-year-old pitching prospect Nataneal Rodriguez for $180K.
- The Pirates released Craig Hansen, a former first round pick that was part of the Manny trade in 2008. The Rockies cut ties with Greg Smith, who was part of the first Matt Holliday trade.
- Among the players that cleared waivers and were outrighted to Triple-A last week: Manny Acosta (Mets), Mike Ekstrom (Rays), Mark Wagner (Red Sox), Jon Link (Dodgers), John Lindsey (Dodgers), Travis Ishikawa (Giants), Lucas May (Royals), Ryan Rowland-Smith (Astros), and Merklinger. Texas claimed Ramon Aguero off waivers from the Pirates.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL West Notes: Angels, Jesus Montero, Cotts Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors