Happy Mother's Day! Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- The Rangers officially signed Cuban defector Leonys Martin to a five-year, $15.5MM contract that includes a $5MM signing bonus. We'd been hearing a deal was close with the speedy outfielder for weeks. Martin, 23, will likely begin his pro career at Double-A.
- Kevin Millwood opted out of his contract with the Yankees and said he hoped to sign elsewhere this week, but hasn't done so as of yet.
- We've seen Justin Upton, Jay Bruce, and Carlos Gonzalez all locked up in the past year, and the Pirates may be looking to extend another of the game's best young outfielders. They're currently in talks with Andrew McCutchen about a long-term deal.
- The Giants have discussed attempting to acquire Jose Reyes internally, following Miguel Tejada's struggles at shortstop. Mike Fontenot is currently manning short on an everyday basis for the defending World Champs.
- Despite a dreadful start to the season, the White Sox aren't looking to make big changes yet. If they remain out of contention though, they'd have plenty of appealing pieces to sell off at the deadline.
- The Mets received terrible news this week when they learned that top prospect Jenrry Mejia has a complete tear of the MCL in his elbow and will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- Both Todd Wellemeyer and former first rounder Russ Adams officially retired this week. Best of luck to both in their lives after baseball.
- Ken Rosenthal's Full Count video provided updates on the job status of Dodgers GM Ned Colletti and Cubs GM Jim Hendry, and told us that the Royals could buy and sell this July if they remain in contention.
- Jason Heyward found himself a new agent this week. He'll now be represented by Casey Close, who also represents Derek Jeter and Ryan Howard.
- The Cubs released former top prospect Max Ramirez. Ramirez was claimed off waivers twice this offseason, but Chicago passed him through waivers to send him to Triple-A at the end of Spring Training. Given the number of teams who need catching depth, he should catch on elsewhere.
- Other moves this week included the Brewers acquiring minor leaguer Jordan Brown from the Indians, the Yankees claiming Jess Todd from Cleveland and subsquently designating Kevin Russo for assignment, and Felipe Lopez being DFA'ed by the Rays and clearing waivers. For all of the week's minor moves, check our Transactions tag or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Report Describes Dysfunction In Mariners' Front Office AL East Notes: Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles Reds Notes: Phillips, Choo, Chapman, Bailey Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Rosenthal's Latest: Choo, Cruz, Price, Kemp, Tanaka Latest On The A's And San Jose Stark Previews Winter Meetings NL West Notes: Dodgers, Kemp, D'Backs, Uribe NL East Rumors: Marlins, Morrison, Rodriguez Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Astros Sign Chad Qualls Minor Moves: Wily Mo Pena, Corky Miller Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Lincecum, Ellsbury, Granderson Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Yankees Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors