A look back at the week that was here at MLBTR ...
- The Red Sox mulled alternatives to the struggling catching duo of Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, although nothing is imminent.
- The Nationals acquired speedy outfielder Gregor Blanco from the Royals for a player to be named, although Washington's outfield picture remains muddled. The Nats also designated reliever Brian Broderick for assignment.
- The Mariners designated outfielder Ryan Langerhans for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Mike Wilson. The M's also DFA'd the perpetually embattled Milton Bradley, and the Padres aren't interested in bringing back Bradley.
- Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has a new agent in Dan Lozano.
- The Yankees said they won't discuss CC Sabathia's opt-out clause during the season.
- The Astros' sale to Jim Crane is nearly complete. Houston also designated right-hander Nelson Figueroa for assignment and signed catcher Max Ramirez to a minor league deal. Figueroa accepted his assignment to Triple-A Round Rock.
- The Pirates continued extension negotiations with star center fielder Andrew McCutchen. The Bucs also released lefty Scott Olsen.
- The Orioles designated righty Josh Rupe for assignment.
- Mets GM Sandy Alderson said it's unlikely that he'd trade Jose Reyes this season and then try to re-sign the shortstop in the offseason. Meanwhile, Reyes trade rumors persisted. As well, Carlos Beltran has been playing well, and whispers about his trade value kicked up.
- The Athletics' young starters are basically untouchable, we learned.
- Willy Aybar signed with the Edmonton Capitals of the independent North American League. Likewise, Pedro Feliz signed with the Camden RiverSharks of the Atlantic League, an independent league.
- Frank McCourt continued his legal action against MLB following the league taking control of the Dodgers.
- The White Sox designated righty Jeff Gray for assignment. Gray was then claimed by the Mariners.
- The Blue Jays released outfielder Scott Podsednik.
- MLB and the MLBPA made progress in talks regarding a new collective bargaining agreement.
- Angels first baseman Kendry Morales was lost for the season to ankle surgery.
- The D'Backs said they're open to acquiring pitching and moving their reserves. Arizona also released lefty Ron Mahay.
- The Yankees designated right-hander Jess Todd for assignment.
- Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer continued to impress upon being called up to the bigs, but his agent, Scott Boras, said he's not much interested in discussing a long-term deal with Kansas City.
- Draft news and a few mocks were published as we draw closer to June.
- Rockies third baseman Ian Stewart, demoted again to Triple-A, discussed a potential trade from the Colorado organization.
- The Cubs outrighted righty Thomas Diamond from their 40-man roster.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Minor Moves: Adam Loewen, Matt Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors