On this date last year, Armando Galarraga came within one out of a perfect game before a blown call prevented him from making history. Here are Thursday’s links, including reaction to the Galarraga game:
- Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports weighed in on the anniversary of Galarraga’s near-miss.
- The Rangers' asking price of the Diamondbacks for Michael Young in Spring Training was lefty prospect Tyler Skaggs, tweets Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic. At the time, Skaggs was regarded as roughly the 80th best prospect in baseball.
- Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review suggests it'd be a good idea for the Pirates to offer Paul Maholm $25MM or so on a three-year extension. Maholm is having a nice year (3.18 ERA, 70 2/3 IP, 6.1 K/9, 3.2 BB/9) but $25MM sounds excessive to me.
- Listen in as MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes joins Midwest Sports Fans on their MLB Trivia Challenge Podcast.
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com explores the options for the Red Sox, who will lose Daisuke Matsuzaka to Tommy John ligament replacement surgery.
- The Royals announced that top prospect John Lamb will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow. Baseball America ranked the lefty 18th among all MLB prospects before the season.