We're just one day away from the MLB Draft! Let's take a look back at the week that led up to it:
- The Astros released their biggest offseason signing, Bill Hall, after he produced just a .224/.272/.240 line. Houston inked Hall to a one-year deal worth $3MM with a $4MM mutual option last winter.
- It was announced this week that Daisuke Matsuzaka will require Tommy John surgery, meaning his days with the Red Sox could be done.
- In other Tommy John news, the Royals announced that top prospect John Lamb will require the procedure. That move comes as a big blow to Kansas City; Lamb ranked 18th on Baseball America's list of Top 100 prospects entering the season.
- A handful of minor trades this week: the Twins acquired Jeremy Reed for future considerations, the Padres acquired Steve Tolleson for a player to be named later, and the Diamondbacks acquired Lucas May for minor leaguer Andrea Pizziconi.
- The Yankees will explore trades to improve their rotation and perhaps add a left-handed reliever this summer, while the Diamondbacks will be on the lookout for bullpen help.
- One popular name on the bullpen front will likely be Heath Bell, and he's already drawing interest from the Cardinals.
- The Nationals are looking for center fielders and leadoff hitters and have inquired on Michael Bourn, though the talks didn't go anywhere.
- There have been trade rumors swirling around Jose Reyes' name for months, but the Mets could potentially trade David Wright instead of Reyes. If that were to occur, Wright's 2013 club option would become invalid, as it only applies if he's playing for the Mets.
- It's never too early to think about the offseason, and we heard this week that the Orioles are poised to be big spenders this winter, with Prince Fielder being a potential top target.
- Hideki Okajima, who has been pitching well since being demoted to Triple-A, is hoping that the Red Sox will trade him.
- Curious about your team's plans for the draft? We presented seven different roundups of draft notes this week, so be sure to check them out and brush up before the big day.
- Nothing about the draft is set in stone until it happens, but there was a report this week that the Pirates have decided to draft UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole first overall.
- Plenty of minor moves this week: the Mariners released Manny Delcarmen (the Rangers signed him days later), the Orioles designated Jake Fox for assignment, and the White Sox did the same with Dallas McPherson. To see all of the week's minor moves and keep up in the future, click our Transactions tag, follow @mlbtrtrans on Twitter, or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
- Lastly, a look at the latest update to the Elias Rankings.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors