This year's draft has come and gone, and it led to plenty of news. Let's recap the past week:
- The Pirates selected Gerrit Cole with the first overall pick in the draft. Cole and GM Neal Huntington discussed the move in a conference call, with Cole stating that his 2011 season wasn't up to his standards and Huntington saying they selected the player they feel will help the team most in the long haul.
- The results of the first round and supplemental round were also tracked here on MLBTR.
- Several draft picks have already signed. The Giants agreed to terms with first rounder Joe Panik, the Blue Jays signed supplemental first rounder Joe Musgrove for $500K, and the Padres signed their first pick, Cory Spangenberg, for a $1.86MM bonus and inked supplemental rounder Jace Peterson for $624,600.
- The Athletics fired manager Bob Geren this week, replacing him with former Mariners and D'Backs skipper Bob Melvin. General manager Billy Beane explained his difficult decision later that day.
- Commissioner Bud Selig voiced his continued support for the slotting system and a worldwide draft.
- The Nationals have long been searching for a center fielder, and that search has led to their interest in B.J. Upton, whose some believe would benefit from a change of scenery.
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said this week that the addition of a bat to their lineup before the trade deadline is unlikely. Amaro feels the team has plenty of power, and simply hasn't hit up to its capabilities yet.
- Another move you shouldn't expect to see is a trade of Aramis Ramirez. The long-time Cubs third baseman said this week that he won't waive his no-trade clause for a deal this summer, and that he hopes to remain in Chicago beyond 2011.
- The Giants continue to look for catching options following Buster Posey's injury, but we heard definitively this week that Ivan Rodriguez is not the answer they're looking for.
- The reigning world champions also signed Bill Hall to a minor league deal this week after the utility man was cut loose by Houston last week.
- Another offseason addition who was released by his team was Jose Lopez, who received his walking papers from the Rockies on Tuesday after being designated for assignment in late May. Lopez latched on with the Marlins on a minor league deal later in the week.
- It's officially Mike Moustakas time for the Royals in Kansas City. The top prospect was called up to the big leagues this week with Kevin Pucetas being designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster. Moose hit his first big league homer last night.
- To keep up with all of the minor moves throughout the week, such as Felipe Lopez being designated for assignment by the Rays, be sure to use our Transactions tag, follow @mlbtrtrans on Twitter, and/or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors