This year's draft has come and gone, and it led to plenty of news. Let's recap the past week:
- The Pirates selected Gerrit Cole with the first overall pick in the draft. Cole and GM Neal Huntington discussed the move in a conference call, with Cole stating that his 2011 season wasn't up to his standards and Huntington saying they selected the player they feel will help the team most in the long haul.
- The results of the first round and supplemental round were also tracked here on MLBTR.
- Several draft picks have already signed. The Giants agreed to terms with first rounder Joe Panik, the Blue Jays signed supplemental first rounder Joe Musgrove for $500K, and the Padres signed their first pick, Cory Spangenberg, for a $1.86MM bonus and inked supplemental rounder Jace Peterson for $624,600.
- The Athletics fired manager Bob Geren this week, replacing him with former Mariners and D'Backs skipper Bob Melvin. General manager Billy Beane explained his difficult decision later that day.
- Commissioner Bud Selig voiced his continued support for the slotting system and a worldwide draft.
- The Nationals have long been searching for a center fielder, and that search has led to their interest in B.J. Upton, whose some believe would benefit from a change of scenery.
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said this week that the addition of a bat to their lineup before the trade deadline is unlikely. Amaro feels the team has plenty of power, and simply hasn't hit up to its capabilities yet.
- Another move you shouldn't expect to see is a trade of Aramis Ramirez. The long-time Cubs third baseman said this week that he won't waive his no-trade clause for a deal this summer, and that he hopes to remain in Chicago beyond 2011.
- The Giants continue to look for catching options following Buster Posey's injury, but we heard definitively this week that Ivan Rodriguez is not the answer they're looking for.
- The reigning world champions also signed Bill Hall to a minor league deal this week after the utility man was cut loose by Houston last week.
- Another offseason addition who was released by his team was Jose Lopez, who received his walking papers from the Rockies on Tuesday after being designated for assignment in late May. Lopez latched on with the Marlins on a minor league deal later in the week.
- It's officially Mike Moustakas time for the Royals in Kansas City. The top prospect was called up to the big leagues this week with Kevin Pucetas being designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster. Moose hit his first big league homer last night.
- To keep up with all of the minor moves throughout the week, such as Felipe Lopez being designated for assignment by the Rays, be sure to use our Transactions tag, follow @mlbtrtrans on Twitter, and/or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma Free Agent Stock Watch: Edward Mujica Best Command Among 2014 Free Agents Trade Candidate: Bud Norris
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors