Though he's well-compensated and has full no-trade protection, Mets right fielder Carlos Beltran is the best available hitter. The latest:
- The Red Sox aren't willing to part with the prospects the Mets want, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com. The Mets are interested in Josh Reddick, Ryan Kalish, Jose Iglesias, Anthony Ranaudo, Felix Doubront and Will Middlebrooks, according to Edes. Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald hears that the Red Sox are focusing on internal solutions, particularly Reddick.
- SI's Jon Heyman runs through ten Beltran suitors, naming the Phillies the "clear favorite." The Mets' first target would be Domonic Brown, a concession Matt Gelb can't see happening.
- Boston's talks with the Mets about Beltran have not advanced beyond preliminary discussions, reports WEEI's Alex Speier. Eight to ten teams are said to be in the mix, with the Red Sox among the top six.
- Some Mets officials feel a deal could get done well before the July 31st deadline, writes Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Sherman agrees with a previous Ken Rosenthal report that the Phillies and Red Sox are the most aggressive suitors. Sherman says they're followed by the Braves, Giants, Indians, and Pirates. He notes that the Mets "have been somewhat surprised by Detroit's disinterest."
- Yesterday the Mets provided Beltran with a short list of teams to consider, and the Phillies are believed to be on it, report Tim Brown and Jeff Passan of Yahoo. The writers add that the Mets have indicated a willingness to pay much or all of the $6MM owed to Beltran depending on the return. They list the Red Sox, Giants, and Yankees as other suitors, and wonder if the East Coast teams have an edge since Beltran lives in New York. Brown and Passan named the Brewers as a dark horse, but they don't have much in the way of top prospects.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Anthony Ranaudo | Atlanta Braves | Boston Red Sox | Carlos Beltran | Cleveland Indians | Detroit Tigers | Domonic Brown | Felix Doubront | Jose Iglesias | Josh Reddick | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | Ryan Kalish | San Francisco Giants
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors