Here's a rundown of MLBTR's original content from this past week....
- This week, MLBTR was the first to learn that the Orioles claimed pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes after he was DFA'd by Toronto. We were also the first to report the O's release of Justin Duchscherer.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at Jimmy Rollins' impending free agency and gauged the market for reliever Matt Capps.
- I looked back at the July deals made in the American League (East, Central, West) and the National League (East, Central, West)
- Even though the trade deadline has passed, there's still the potential for more significant trades in the month of August. Tim Dierkes gave us his August trade candidates by team.
- Nippon-Ham Fighters ace Yu Darvish is represented by Arn Tellem of Wasserman Media Group as well as Don Nomura, MLBTR confirmed.
- Mike Axisa gave us an update on players with 2012 vesting options. Bobby Abreu recently got his $9MM option vested for next season.
- The 40/60/80 arbitration rule doesn't work to the extent that some suggest it does, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- We released an update on the Elias Rankings and outlined the free agents who switched leagues.
- We had a lot of great content in this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In. If you have a suggestion for BBWI, you can reach Mike Axisa at this email address.
- It came as a surprise to many of us when the Padres didn't trade Heath Bell at the trade deadline. This week, 44% of our readers said that the Friars should now sign the closer to a two or three year extension this offseason. For more on Bell, check out Dan Mennella's recent post on him over at CloserNews.com.
- MLBTR was the first to learn that right-hander Willie Eyre opted for free agency this week.
- Last offseason, six prominent Rays relievers hit free agency and signed elsewhere for a total of $67.65MM. How are they faring in 2011? We also checked in on this year's Rule 5 picks.
- Did you miss our weekly chat? Don't fret, you can check out the transcript right here.
- This year there have been four converted relievers have who started extensively in 2011 and Ben Nicholson-Smith gave us an update on how they're doing so far.
- The recently-launched CloserNews.com is looking for writers.
Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Red Sox, Coghlan, Beltran Rangers Moving Toward Deal With J.P. Arencibia West Notes: Cano, Angels, Rockies, Hudson Minor Moves: Clay Rapada Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson New York Notes: Granderson, Aoki, Choo Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Yankees Optimistic About Hiroki Kuroda's Return White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Mariners Could Offer Cano $225MM NL Notes: Braves, Cubs, Phillies, Pirates, Mets Central Notes: Aoki, Hughes, Dunn Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rangers Sign Jose Contreras Rays Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors