Here's a rundown of MLBTR's original content from this past week....
- This week, MLBTR was the first to learn that the Orioles claimed pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes after he was DFA'd by Toronto. We were also the first to report the O's release of Justin Duchscherer.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at Jimmy Rollins' impending free agency and gauged the market for reliever Matt Capps.
- I looked back at the July deals made in the American League (East, Central, West) and the National League (East, Central, West)
- Even though the trade deadline has passed, there's still the potential for more significant trades in the month of August. Tim Dierkes gave us his August trade candidates by team.
- Nippon-Ham Fighters ace Yu Darvish is represented by Arn Tellem of Wasserman Media Group as well as Don Nomura, MLBTR confirmed.
- Mike Axisa gave us an update on players with 2012 vesting options. Bobby Abreu recently got his $9MM option vested for next season.
- The 40/60/80 arbitration rule doesn't work to the extent that some suggest it does, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- We released an update on the Elias Rankings and outlined the free agents who switched leagues.
- We had a lot of great content in this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In. If you have a suggestion for BBWI, you can reach Mike Axisa at this email address.
- It came as a surprise to many of us when the Padres didn't trade Heath Bell at the trade deadline. This week, 44% of our readers said that the Friars should now sign the closer to a two or three year extension this offseason. For more on Bell, check out Dan Mennella's recent post on him over at CloserNews.com.
- MLBTR was the first to learn that right-hander Willie Eyre opted for free agency this week.
- Last offseason, six prominent Rays relievers hit free agency and signed elsewhere for a total of $67.65MM. How are they faring in 2011? We also checked in on this year's Rule 5 picks.
- Did you miss our weekly chat? Don't fret, you can check out the transcript right here.
- This year there have been four converted relievers have who started extensively in 2011 and Ben Nicholson-Smith gave us an update on how they're doing so far.
- The recently-launched CloserNews.com is looking for writers.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors