Here's a look back at the week following the trade deadline..
- The Mets remain highly unlikely to offer Jose Reyes a contract similar to Carl Crawford's contract at seven-years, $142MM. Reportedly, both the guaranteed money and the length of Crawford’s contract would be unappealing to the Mets.
- No surprise here, Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. doesn’t want to let Jimmy Rollins slip away when he hits free agency.
- After a career that has spanned nearly two decades, Matt Stairs announced that he's retiring. The 43-year-old was designated for assignment by the Nationals last Wednesday and released on Monday.
- The Twins recently approached Michael Cuddyer about a contract extension and floated the idea of a two-year, $16MM deal. The conversations didn’t progress from there and Cuddyer appears to prefer to postpone negotiations until after the season.
- The Braves are in the market for a right-handed pinch hitter who can complement the left-handed hitting Eric Hinske off of the bench.
- Closer Heath Bell intends to accept arbitration after the season from the Padres if the two sides have not worked out a contract extension. Later on, Padres owner Jeff Moorad said that he doesn't mind if Bell accepts arbitration after the season.
- Baltimore released Justin Duchscherer, who never appeared in a game for the Orioles. The 33-year-old right-hander spent the entire season on the disabled list with a strained left hip after signing a one-year deal in February that paid him $700K plus incentives.
- Later that day, the Orioles claimed Jo-Jo Reyes after the Blue Jays designated the left-hander for assignment.
- After opting out of his deal with the Athletics, pitcher Willie Eyre agreed to a deal with the Orioles.
- Brett Carroll refused an outright assignment from the Brewers and is now a free agent.
- The Mariners released Jack Cust, who was designated for assignment last week.
- The Athletics designated left-hander Jerry Blevins for assignment in order to call up Adam Rosales from Triple-A.
- David Purcey was designated for assignment by the Tigers to clear a spot for reliever David Pauley.
- The Rangers designated Arthur Rhodes for assignment, to create roster space for newly-acquired right-hander Mike Adams.
- The Phillies released reliever Danys Baez after he cleared waivers. The veteran had been designated for assignment recently to create a spot for Brad Lidge.
- This week we learned that Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma hired Paul Cobbe of Sosnick-Cobbe Sports as his new agent several months ago.
- First baseman Lyle Overbay was DFA'd by the Pirates.
- Red Sox righty Clay Buchholz is unlikely to pitch again in the regular season due to a stress fracture in his back which explains why the Red Sox picked up Erik Bedard.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers Teams Scouting David Phelps, Yankee Catchers Mets Notes: Murphy, Wright, Trades, Seratelli
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors