Time to catch up on the last week at MLBTR...
- The Tigers extended GM Dave Dombrowski through 2015 and manager Jim Leyland through next season. Dombrowski will celebrate his tenth season as the Tigers' GM next April.
- The Cubs hired Jim Hendry three months after the Tigers hired Dombrowski, back in 2002. It appears that Hendry will have one more shot to take the Cubs to the promise land, as Bob Nightengale tweeted that the team's ownership is currently planning to keep Hendry for next year, barring a change of thinking.
- Carlos Zambrano provided the drama for the Cubs on Friday, allowing five home runs to the Braves, earning an ejection, and then clearing out his locker and telling the team trainer he was retiring. The next day the Cubs announced they placed Zambrano on the disqualified list, meaning 30 days without pay, which would save the team over $1.6MM. The players union will file a grievance, of course. You have to think the Cubs will unload Zambrano at any cost this winter.
- The list of players who have cleared waivers is up to ten, with ESPN's Buster Olney reporting nine of them.
- The Dodgers signed first round draft pick Chris Reed for $1.589MM. The Stanford lefty was drafted 16th overall. With just over 25 hours remaining until the draft pick signing deadline, 23 of the 33 first round picks are unsigned.
- A couple of prominent players switched agencies: Blue Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus jumped from Bobby Barad to Beverly Hills Sports Council in advance of his first arbitration year, while Tigers closer Jose Valverde switched from Praver/Shapiro to Proformance a few months prior to the team's decision on his $9MM club option.
- Mets shortstop Jose Reyes was placed on the 15-day DL for a hamstring strain Monday, after missing about two weeks for a similar injury in July. The latest DL stint prompted many analysts to wonder how much Reyes' injuries will cost him as a free agent.
- White Sox lefty John Danks told the Chicago Sun-Times he loves Chicago and hopes to remain with the White Sox. Danks is due a sizeable arbitration raise next year, after which he'll be eligible for free agency.
- Many players landed on the scrap heap last week. J.C. Romero was released by the Yankees, Arthur Rhodes was released by the Rangers, the Red Sox cut Kevin Millwood loose, the Braves released Scott Proctor, the Marlins cut Wes Helms, the Cardinals released Blaine Boyer and Ron Mahay, the Royals released Kyle Davies, and the Pirates released Lyle Overbay. Also, Dave Bush elected free agency from the Cubs.
- Six players were removed from 40-man rosters by being designated for assignment: Luke French (Mariners), Juan Jaime (Diamondbacks), Tim Wood (Pirates), Raul Valdes (Cardinals), Austin Kearns (Indians), and Tommy Manzella (Astros).
- On the positive side, many players were rescued from the scrap heap: Millwood signed with the Rockies, the Yankees brought Proctor back, the Diamondbacks reunited with Overbay, the Phillies inked Jack Cust, the Cardinals signed Rhodes, the Padres signed Pedro Feliz, and the D'Backs claimed Manzella.
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks Close To Signing Hudson, Blanco Quick Hits: Rays, Kimbrel, Weeks, Kalish, Madson AL West Notes: Wilson, Young, Angels, Morrison AL Central Notes: Jackson, Pelfrey, Garza, Butler Rockies Close To Signing Boone Logan Dodgers Notes: Kemp, Phillips, Gordon, Kasten Rosenthal On Gardner, Kemp, Drew, Mariners Blue Jays Notes: Rasmus, Samardzija, Anthopoulos Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Royals, Blue Jays Discussed Billy Butler Trade Rockies Close To Deal With Logan, Talking To Howell Mets Notes: Axford, Gregg, Drew, Payroll Red Sox Designate Alex Castellanos Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors