We're less then a month from postseason baseball, and we saw several deals this past week with the August 31st deadline to acquire playoff-eligible players. Let's run it all down:
- The Red Sox acquired Conor Jackson from the Athletics in exchange for minor leaguer Jason Rice. Acquired for bench depth, Jackson actually left today's game after a collision with the wall in right field.
- The Braves made a pair of acquisitions this week. They first struck a deal with the Pirates to bring back Matt Diaz in exchange for a player to be named later or cash, and later acquired Jack Wilson from the Mariners for a player to be named later.
- The Rangers also made two trades on the 31st, and like Atlanta, one included bringing back a familiar face. Texas sent cash to the Royals to bring back Matt Treanor, and they sent a player to be named later to the Orioles in exchange for Mike Gonzalez. The PTBNL wound up being Pedro Strop later in the week.
- In other Rangers news, Koji Uehara saw his $4MM option for 2012 vest when he appeared in his 55th game of the season.
- The Giants cut ties with a pair of veterans this week when they designated both Aaron Rowand and Miguel Tejada for assignment. In DFAing this pair, the Giants have agreed to eat a whopping $14.8MM in remaining salary.
- The Mets acquired Adrian Rosario and Danny Herrera from the Brewers to complete July's Francisco Rodriguez trade.
- Dodgers owner Frank McCourt reportedly received a $1.2 billion dollar offer to buy the club, but MLB is skeptical of the offer.
- The Mariners reached a deal on a two-year contract extension with general manager Jack Zduriencik.
- Long-time White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen wants a contract extension, and is prepared to part ways with the organization if he isn't accommodated. The Sox could revisit trade discussions with the Marlins in what would be an incredibly rare transaction.
- Andy MacPhail has been the president of baseball operations for the Orioles since 2007, but this year could be his last. Two high-ranking O's sources expect MacPhail to walk away, but MacPhail himself said only, "Let's just get to the end of the year."
- The Royals have the best farm system in the game, but they're willing to deal parts of it if they can strike a deal similar to Cleveland's trade that brought Ubaldo Jimenez to the American League Central. Kansas City would like a controllable ace in any potential deal.
- Angels right fielder Torii Hunter said he's considering retiring after his current five-year, $90MM contract expires after the 2012 season. Hunter has said numerous times he'd like to return to the Twins to finish his career, but now says he's likely to retire an Angel and had some harsh words for Twins' GM Bill Smith.
- Brandon Phillips said it'd feel like a slap in the face if the Reds merely picked up his 2012 option and didn't extend him beyond next season. If the option is exercised without a long-term deal, Phillips says he'll test free agency after the 2012 campaign.
- The Blue Jays, Yankees, Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles, Rangers, and Rays are among the teams interested in Yu Darvish.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors